Single chainring up front

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
Apologies if this has been covered before here but I couldn't find anything on the search.

I have been thinking of only using a single chainring on my chainset by locking the front derailleur, the reason being that I am getting realy fed up of the chainrub when in either highest or lowest gear on the back. I am also finding that I barely ever use the small or large front chainring so am thinking I won't miss it. If I find that it works I will be looking to only have one chainring instead of all three, but that will be a different story...

My main inspiration for this was when I recently went on holiday to centreparcs and the bike hire there is a Mongoose rockadile with only one chainring up front. And while the frame wasn't eat for me, I realy didn't miss the front derraileur the whole time I was there.

Has anyone else considered this at all? and please let me know if you think I'm making a bad decision.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    many people do this as a cheap mod. but i bet you will still get chain rub in the big and small cogs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    many people do this as a cheap mod. but i bet you will still get chain rub in the big and small cogs.

Agreed. If you're serious, just remove the front changer - saves a bit of weight as well. Not a biggie; you can always put it back again, if it doesn't work out. :)
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • I only run one ring up front and nine in the rear and it's still my favourite set up. I agree with previous statement in that you should just remove the front mech, it saves weight and that way you won't get any chain rub, you will possibly need to run a chain guide though.
  • BeardedDave
    BeardedDave Posts: 1,977
    I used to do it on my previous bike and it was fine. Some people have issues with the chain falling off the ring, if they don't use a front mech as a guide. I had a bashguard on the outside and one of these on the inside and never had any problems. http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=chng-js
    East Anglia Biking Collective!
    http://www.easternbikemonkeys.co.uk/forum/
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, my road bike is 8 on the back, one up front and it's got a bit of a habit of losing the chain off kerbs, if I'm in the higher gears. Maybe a different mech would help keep the tension but it'd be maddening to get the same sort of results off road.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I have removed the front mech, shifter, and granny ring from my winter bike.
    I recently put the big ring back on because I was riding a lot more hardpack/tarmac and couldn't keep up with my mates, however I just manually switch the chain between rings.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • I have 4 singlespeeds at the moment, they all only have one ring at the front...

...I'll get my coat :oops:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    however I just manually switch the chain between rings.
    There's progress for you! :wink:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • I have for many years only had a single chainring up front.

I used to race XC and then the triple had its uses but for most riding you can get away with one!

I do some mild XC, street riding, dirt jumping and pretty much most things on my bike and with an 8spd at the back i am never lost for gears.

And as has been said, worst case.....you put it back on! If you do like the single up front i would suggest a decent chain device to eliminate the risk of the chain bouncing off.
    - 2006 Orange MsIsle -
    - "Old bikers dont die, we juet get tired" -
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    Another single-ringer here, use an E-13 SRS up front to keep everything where it should be and a 9 speed on the back. Gives me everything I need.
  • Kiblams
    Good to know i'm not the only one with the preference for one chainring.

Anywho, I bought a new crank/chainset earlier as my current one was rivetted together. I must say that i'm loving how it feels and looks! Here it is so far:

my%20pinnacle%20new%20cranks%20smaller.jpg
    (Please excuse the dodgy phone camera picture)

Only issue that I have at the moment is that the new middle ring (the one i'm using) is 32t and the one i'm used to was 34t. I am leaning more towards getting a 36t ring, what size do you guys prefer?

I don't have a chain guide yet, but I have only been up and down a few curbs so might need to get one before doing anything more 'bumpy'. Will take a look at what you have all suggested.

Thanks for the responses guys.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think this depends on where you ride.

I am in the middle for the majority, but the hills here really do benefit me with a triple set up 44/32/22.

I am not suprised Centreparcs didn't require more chainrings!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I wouldn't even get to the start of my regular loops if I didn't have the granny ring :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Same here! I have a 600ft climb straight out of my front door to the wharncliffe trail head, through a very steep wood.
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    I run 36 at the front, 11-32 at the back on my 26" wheels, 11-23 on my 24" wheels.
  • Done the same,ran with a single ring and 8 speed,chain kept falling off so had to leave it in about 5th when stopping and starting.

I found that in the granny ring its faster if i just got off and pushed the lump instead.

However,i havent hit any trailcentres yet(no confidence!!)so ive thrown the front der back on ready for the climbs,justy waiting for the sun to come out - afan here i come
  • Kiblams
    Well I had the day off so have had the day to abuse my new single chainring set-up. I have the front ring in line with the smallest back rings which seems to be a good set-up as the chain only wants to jump off towards the peddles which I can solve with a bash guard. I think the chain tension on the larger rear gears hold the chain on better which is fine with me :)

Oh and I had a wipe-out pushing too hard on some ice and the chain managed to stay on which was suprising and assuring.

Still a little unsure of whether to put a 36t instead of the current 32t chainring, more offroad riding required.

All in all, i'm still chuffed. :D
  • I have ridden 1x9 drivetrian for a year now. I put my experience in a short article here http://unluckypete.com/2013/03/why-sing ... ro-riding/
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good for you, but so have a million people in the four years since anybody else posted in this thread.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools