Starting racing

worthy
worthy Posts: 8
edited February 2009 in Amateur race
Can anyone advise me how I go about getting into road racing? I'm 35 and have just started cycling after many years away, to regain my health after several years of illness. I'd like to have something to aim for with the training, although admittedly initially I'm aiming to simply get healthy again.

Thanks

Worthy

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I would say find a local club, start riding with the guys(and get dropped), keep riding,
    and eventually you'll be hammering with the best of them(or maybe not but you'll get in shape). Whatever you do after getting in decent shape is up to you. Good luck.
    Most of all, have fun.

Dennis Noward
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Join your local cycling club would be best and take it from there. Riding in a large group on training runs will give you the experience and confidence you need to ride on a wheel and will get you closer to the fitness levels you will need to race.

I am in a similar position. I raced in my teens, have been cycling again for about 8 years, but only now feel like I want to try racing again. I am planning on joining a local club in the coming months.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    If you are talking bunch-racing (not time trials), there's some sound advice in this thread:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12606747