joe blow sport pump still waiting for spares 2months now

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
i ordered a pump rebuild kit on the 7th of nov for my top peak joe blow sport track pump and still not in stock, so ive been using my small pump but very hard to get over 110 psi in tyres guess i will have to cancel now and i wont get another top peak pump again no point if it goes wrong in 18 months and you cant get parts, totally rubbish parts service

Comments

• woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I asked my LBS back in september for a washer kit for the twin head to this pump, still waiting. topeak are great for stuff, but not if you need spares.
  • I think halfords stock the spare for them in there workshop (my local does), It'll be worth a try?

:D
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    My Joe Blow Sport is starting to leak at the valve seal. I checked on the Topeak webbsite and they do a pump rebuild kit. This is a big box with dozens of various sels etc in. Sadly the kit is not available to puchase directly from the Topeak site but as 2tired2 ride said, there is a chance that LBS or Halfords might have a kit and sell 1 seal from it. Fortunately I have a spare track pump so I am not as desperate as you, but there's no way I will bin what has been a great pump for 4 years. I agree that 2 months wait is just not accepteble. In light of your experience I am going to check my various LBS.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've just got to say that I have had a Silca pump for 35 + years now and have, only
    once, put in a new leather gasket. And that was only because it was on sale at a bike shop and I had a few extra dollars.

Dennis Noward
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    dennisn said:
    I've just got to say that I have had a Silca pump for 35 + years now and have, only
    once, put in a new leather gasket.

Ah, they don't make 'em like they used to! I would guess it has a screw on flexible valve connector. The part that seems to wear quickly on most modern pumps is the rubber seal in the push-on adapter. Not surprising when you consider it has to be pushed over screw threads on a regular basis and still has to seal high pressures whilst not always at the perfect angle (or even held still).

Anyone any ideas ref lubrication of the seal to reduce wear. I read somewhere about wetting (actually spitting on) the seal or valve before pushing the connector on. It didn't seem to help in fact it was shortly after that the seal started leaking. There may be a better method - any ideas?