Advice needed please - I want to buy a sportive road bike

JK1969
JK1969 Posts: 29
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
Hi – I started road cycling two years ago, and purchased a decent Bianchi 1885 veloce from my LBS. I used the bike for regular 30 mile stints and got out for longer stuff at the weekends 60-70 miles. However, after 45 miles - my backside killed me and the last 10 miles or so were a real slog. The bike was a standard double and I managed the hills (live in Perthshire) ok. I loved the bike, but would have liked more comfort on the longer runs – up to 30 miles was fine though.

Last autumn my work announced it was starting the cycle to work scheme – so I thought great - sell my Bianchi and upgrade to a more comfortable one. I took a hit on the money as it cost £1000 and I got £600 for my two year old bike. But, with the cycle to work scheme – I would save £400.00. So, I thought it would be like a free upgrade to a more sportive carbon bike such as the c2c 928 veloce – and hopefully would be more comfortable for the longer runs.

Now the problem!! The scheme hasn’t started yet, and looks like its being delayed to the summer and I have no bike!!! Also, the Bianchis have shot up in price with the new 2009 models, and then again this January - to do with inflation and poor £. My plan therefore is well and truly out the window!!!!!

However, I have secured by deposit from Evans (80 miles away) a choice of two of last years Bianchis. (I don’t have to buy them – if I don’t like them). The first is the same as my 1885 veloce, but a 2008 model @ £750.00 (So I’ve lost £150.00 as I sold mine for £600, but the bike is brand new and a year’s warranty – so not too bad eh?) The second is a 928 carbon c2c 105 triple @ £1125.00. (The positive’s being last year’s price + discount and a more comfortable design).

My thoughts are:
• Do I get the 1885 and invest in a decent saddle to help with the comfort? I did love my bike.
• Do I splash out on the c2c, but settle for a 105 triple as it’s not my choice of components. But, I’m never going to race, and or, get younger – so maybe a bike to last a few years?
• How easy is it to chance the triple if I don’t like it? I have never tinkered with a bike!
• Do I now buy mail order, as I’m not using my local bike shop and get something like a planet X, or a Focus which gets great reviews and much better value than a Bianchi?
• How easy is it to attend a cycle maintenance class and become proficient at my own services/upgrades?

I genuinely would appreciate any comments/advice or similar experiences and resolutions. I feel like my head hurts!!!!!

Comments

• Hi JK and welcome along!

sounds like you have a bit of a dilema!

I recently upgraded from a Spesh Allez - all alu frame with carbon forks to a Planet X pro sl carbon.

I'd had the spesh for 4 years or so before moving to the PX and had done some longish sportives. Whilst the spesh was fairly comfortable the difference between that and the PX is huge.

The PX is all carbon and it seems to glide over the road surface in comparison to the Spesh. I've yet to take it for a long ride, but have no doubts that it will good comfort.

The other thing is the weight. My PX must be in the region of 17ilbs. It really is light! Not sure of the exact weight of the 1885, but imagine it to be around 20lbs.

If you know the geometry of the 1885 then you can look at the geometry of the PX for example to get an idea if it will fit or not. Tweaks can be made with stem length, saddle position etc. I did this and it worked fine.

Hope this helps!!
    Mens agitat molem
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    However, after 45 miles - my backside killed me and the last 10 miles or so were a real slog. The bike was a standard double and I managed the hills (live in Perthshire) ok. I loved the bike, but would have liked more comfort on the longer runs – up to 30 miles was fine though

Perahps you should adress why your backside hurts after a fairly short ride before spending more on a bike which could replicate the problem. Is it contact area pain, if so do you use decent shorts and saddle and have checked the saddle position. Sometimes contact area pain will drop as you toughen up / desensitise your behind, / get the miles in. Is it muscular from being worked hard on the route, which may disapear with practice or lower gearing; or is it pain from an improper / unsuitable position on the bike. If it's too low at the front can you flip or raise the stem.
    I would expect a Bianchi, which is an experienced bike builder, to be perfectly comfortable for 45 miles if it fits you and you're using decent kit ,so there may be hope for it yet.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Backside problem not backpain? If backside, then as kilo says investment in decent padded shorts/longs and better saddle is the way to go rather than a change in geometry. If the 10 miles of misery were other pains then there is a whole new can of worms to investigate. Although some bikes are marketed as sportive bikes any bike that you are comfortable on will do.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    I totally agree with what Kilo and Feel have already said.

From your original post, it sounds like you are used to doing regular rides and of quite reasonable distances. Therefore, I would have thought your nether regions should have acclimatised by now. If you haven't already, get a pair of good quality shorts.

However, I suspect what the real problem will be is the set-up and positioning on the bike. It does make a tremendous difference to the level of comfort on your bike and it will obviously show up more the longer the ride. I can speak from experience on this!!

As it happens, I also have a 928 C2C 105 triple and I can thoroughly recommend it. A very, very comfortable bike. The Fizik Aliante saddle is really good. However, I only fully realised its comfort levels after having a professional bike fitting done where I found out that my prevoius set up was too cramped. I noticed the difference immediately, and completed my longest ride at that time the next day without the neck and shoulder pains I had experienced before.

With regard to changing the triple chainset - it is relatively easy. 105 shifters are double and triple compatible so you would only have to swap the chainset and bottom bracket (about £100 for 105 compact) and the front mech (£20). As for changing them yourself - it depends how mechaincally proficient you are. If you have never worked on a bike but are OK with practical things in general you should be alright. There is plenty of information on line on how to do these things (Park Tool, Bicycle Tutor etc).

In summary:
    1. The 928 C2C is a great bike.
    2. Whatever you choose, get fitted for it properly.
    3. Change from a triple to compact/double - no problem and not too expensive.

Hope this helps,
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Your set up sounds wrong, either that or you have the wrong size bike for you. What about your saddle?

Why get it from Evans. There are other better bike shops out there. Evans are just box shifters! They don't care about if you like the bike, or if the bike fits you correctly, they just want to shift units.
  • why not try ribble cycles, they have a new sportive bike. you get higher spec components that you would from a more fashionable bike manufacturer and they get good reviews in cycling plus.
  • giant_man
    elgordo wrote:
    why not try ribble cycles, they have a new sportive bike. you get higher spec components that you would from a more fashionable bike manufacturer and they get good reviews in cycling plus.

Very nice looking it is too imo!! Great price but there's not much info on the Ribble site as yet.
  • giant_man
    elgordo wrote:
    why not try ribble cycles, they have a new sportive bike. you get higher spec components that you would from a more fashionable bike manufacturer and they get good reviews in cycling plus.

Very nice looking it is too imo!! Great price but there's not much info on the Ribble site as yet.
  • JK1969
    Thanks for all your replies - I really appreciate them :)

I've decided to invest in a proper bike fit and have located a service near me. I really believe this to be a sensible option, as I don't want to repeat a potential previous mistake.

I really felt that my last bike fitted me, but it was a simple case of adjust seat post and away. I can only describe my pain as wanting to fidget on the saddle - as my backside felt sore - it certainly didn't feel like back pain. I didn’t feel exhausted, as I built up my distances over a two year period.

I'm also now aware that folk don't like Evans!!! I've never used them before, but am certainly aware of recommendations for Planet X and now Ribble. Although, I'm without a bike - I will wait to make the right choice.

I do feel comfortable at taking on practical tasks - so am tempted to learn some bike maintenance skills and I think that would give me confidence to buy on line.

Can anyone recommend a course – I don’t mind travelling. The Edinburgh Bike coop – looks to be my nearest – any comments please?
  • JK1969

I've decided to invest in a proper bike fit and have located a service near me. I really believe this to be a sensible option, as I don't want to repeat a potential previous mistake.

I really felt that my last bike fitted me, but it was a simple case of adjust seat post and away. I can only describe my pain as wanting to fidget on the saddle - as my backside felt sore - it certainly didn't feel like back pain. I didn’t feel exhausted, as I built up my distances over a two year period.

I'm also now aware that folk don't like Evans!!! I've never used them before, but am certainly aware of recommendations for Planet X and now Ribble. Although, I'm without a bike - I will wait to make the right choice.

I do feel comfortable at taking on practical tasks - so am tempted to learn some bike maintenance skills and I think that would give me confidence to buy on line.

Can anyone recommend a course – I don’t mind travelling. The Edinburgh Bike coop – looks to be my nearest – any comments please?
  • JK1969

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sore backside....looks like a saddle problem....and saddles are a nightmare as everyones so different....its a case of perseverance and usually wasting money...also make sure you have your bike set up correctly.....good shorts and chamois cream may improve things.

What do you want do do with cycling?....if you fancy having a pop at sportives then a compact or triple is well advised......Perthshire has some tasty hills in the form of Glen Quaich, Ben lawers, Waterboard climb from Glen Lochy to Glen Lyon....have you tried these on your double?....Ive ridden mostly all of Perthshire and only other severe tests are in the Ochils...Dunning to Path of Condie etc....these climbs are tough right enough but fall way behind the traumas in North England and Wales....in terms of steepness and length of steepness...and it would be criminal not to do the Bealach Na Ba and thats a bit of a swine nearing the top.....

You do not know where your purchase will take you and if you do start straying to different areas and are increasing your distance then I cannot recommend a Triple or a Compact more....