Great Big Overshoes

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I've got Endura MT 500 overshoes that I bought with the Cycle2Work voucher when I picked up the bike but they're (a) too small and (b) crap so I want some better and, more importantly, bigger ones.

The problem is my size 13 feet, coupled with the fact that I wear normal shoes, since I have flat pedals. And I have no desire whatsoever to go clipless so don't even start in that direction.

The current overshoes say they'll fit size 11-13 feet but it's a lie. I struggle to pull them on, so much so that after a couple of months usage they're starting to come apart and they're clearly going to rip/disintegrate/die at some point in the not-too-distant future.

So what I'm really looking for is a pair of overshoes where there's a size which has a range that begins at 13 and goes up from there. Has anyone ever seen a pair? The best I've found is Pro stuff (ie Pro Tarmac/Pro Blaze) which have an XXXL size that says 47-49, putting my size smack in the middle of the range, but if that's intended for clippy shoes then it probably won't be much better than the ones I've got.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'm sorry I can't offer you standard overshoes, but these might do:

Bin-Bags.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Jamey
    Yeah, I was hoping it wouldn't come to that :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What about the sealskin socks ? Would they work for you ?
  • Jamey
    The shoes I cycle in are the same shoes I wear at work all day so they need to stay dry.

Plus I'm not going to buy five pairs of SealSkinz Socks.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Couldn't you leave your shoes at work and wear shoes you can get wet for commuting?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Just get some of these in a size 26 and cut the legs off.

spotty-wellies-300.jpg
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Couldn't you leave your shoes at work and wear shoes you can get wet for commuting?

That's what I do..

Actually my "shoes that can get wet" are gore-tex trainers...

I have worn them with giaters whilst out running up Kinder Scout
  • Jamey
    I don't really want to wear wet shoes home in the evening.

My current solution is working out just fine apart from the size of the overshoes.
  • Couldn't you leave your shoes at work and wear shoes you can get wet for commuting?

This would seem to be the answer and couple this with a pair of sealskinz socks, you wouldn't need 5 pairs as they would dry out during the day/overnight and be ready to wear the next time you needed. Anyway only the outside would be wet and then only damp at that as they don't soak up water like regular socks do.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Jamey
    Bumping this thread due to current snowy weather conditions in case anybody has any new advice for me, otherwise I think it might have to be the SealSkinz socks route or cycling in wellies.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Jamey wrote:
    Bumping this thread due to current snowy weather conditions in case anybody has any new advice for me, otherwise I think it might have to be the SealSkinz socks route or cycling in wellies.

Wear gore tex boots/trainers, and waterproof trousers. Boots/trainers don't get wet inside. Leave work shoes in work. Dry shoes for way home, dry, clean shoes at work.
    Simple.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I have a set of overshoes which are to small - I bought them to use on the MTB - I wear them inside my shoes which means I have dry feet and still have grip when I put my feet down
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    edited January 2010
    These worked for me until I went spd, although I can't help with sizing as I am a mere 9.

[url=Http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Agu-Agu-Bike-Boots-Short--Black-with-Reflective-Strip-15602.htm]Http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Agu- ... -15602.htm[/url]
  • Hi Jamey

I know that you said you only want overshoes that "start" at 13* for sizing, but have you considered the Altura Night Vision overshoes? Only £15 + P&P at CycleSurgery at the moment, so maybe worth a pop (don't know if the same offer is on in their shops)?

I have size 11/euro 46 shoes and the large are very generously sized on me so may fit a size 13 properly. They are all velcro attachments, with a reinforced rubber/plastic toe, elasticated velcro stirrup strap and velcro back.

They'll never win a beauty contest, but...

*I am assuming that is an adult 13 rather than a petite one :wink:
  • Jamey
    Just bought some XXXL (that's 3XL) Pro New Classic Overshoes for £12 in the Chainreaction sale.

Will see how they work out. Meant to be 47-49 sizing but that's probably based on slimline road shoes, however hopefully there's enough leeway for them to be ok on my clodhompers.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    If they don't work out try the wellies. Not because it would work but because I think it would be really funny and you cycle past my house

:D
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Jamey
    Wellies would probably work in the snow but the first proper downpour and they'd fill up quite nicely, I should think :)
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    You'll still get wet with Gore Tex trainers, the water just goes in the top. I have a pair in size 11.5 and the XL Endura MTB overshoes are a ridiculous squeeze to get over the heel. Has anyone tried the Alturas? let us know what you come up with..
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • Jamey
    I think Endura just lie about their overshoe sizes.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Jamey wrote:
    I think Endura just lie about their overshoe sizes.

Their mtb gloves are the first thing in my life I have bought in XL. My Endura overshoes are going to be returned as they aren't fit for purpose. Endura-ble they aren't........
    Faster than a tent.......