Come on then, did anybody ride last week?

paul_or
paul_or Posts: 156
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
So, as the UK was in the grip of INCHES of snow, and shuddering as temperatures fell BELOW freezing.....did anybody go out on a ride?

I didn't, for starters!!!
visit my blog for more excitement

http://www.flammerouge.co.uk

Comments

• No and Im itching to get out
  • Yep, built myself a nice little snow kicker :)
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Yep. Managed a 70 miler last Sunday before the snow. A 20 mile MTB ride on Tuesday through the snow and another 70 miler yesterday on my fixed. Roads in the north west were not too bad. Just needed to take a bit of care. :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Roads were fine in the Peaks, deep snow at the sides of the roads though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    nope i did not chance it.

hope to get out this saturday
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Yes, rode to and from work every day (3.5 miles each way). No more than that though.

Monday morning was deadly - compacted snow and ice and idiot drivers.

Monday evening was brilliant - deep, fresh snow = not slippery, cars couldn't go fast :D

Tuesday = wet and slushy

Wednesday onwards = dry.

It was fun, but I wish spring would get a move on.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    No. Haven't been out since Jan 28th. :oops:

Hell, a third of the way through February and I've accrued all of 130 miles. Disgraceful really. :(

I'm off the beer and curry is banned until I've bagged 500 miles.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    I took advantage of the weather on tuesday and spent most of the day on a cross country ride, had a 5-6 inches of fresh soft snow - great day! The rest of the week was slushy brown muck or icy so I didnt venture out on the bike.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    No snow at all here,lovely weather,unfortunately i`ve got the mother of all colds.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Lagavulin wrote:
    No. Haven't been out since Jan 28th. :oops:

Hell, a third of the way through February and I've accrued all of 130 miles. Disgraceful really. :(

I'm off the beer and curry is banned until I've bagged 500 miles.

Don't worry I've only managed 180, and I had to count commuting and going to the pub in that :cry:

I think I might manage 500 for the month, just, and that includes a 135 or so miles of an Audax, going to need to brave the roads of Manchester solo during the week I think if I've got any hope of doing anymore.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    of course - you gotta get them miles in :)

did 45mins on monday
    nothing tuesday
    98 miles on wednesday here http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/7568570
    45mins thursday
    45mins friday
    nothing saturday
    75miles Sunday

Wednesday was simply amazing - I have never seen so much snow on the sides of the roads and in fields before. some places in wales it was almost 5ft deep on the sides of the roads.. Pretty surreal really..
    cartoon.jpg
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I managed 300 km, only 40km of which was on the turbo. I didn't do much during the week, but got out for 65 and 135km rides on the weekend. It was weird seeing snow everywhere. The A roads were OK (luckily I live on one ;-) but the lanes were impossible on a road bike.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • ShaunL
    ShaunL Posts: 91
    I cuycled in to work every day some days were "interesting" to say the least. 20 mile round trip each day.

Cyclocross bikes are excellent for winter riding.
  • Richie G
    Richie G Posts: 283
    Managed to ride to work all of last week. I think it helped my bike handling skills if nothing else! 13 mile round trip for my commute.

Monday: Nice fresh snow, good fun. (And i could go quicker than most of the cars!)

Tuesday: Frozen snow - pretty tricky, especially as one of the main roads was covered in black ice.

Wednesday: Not as icy as Tuesday, but still had to be careful.

Thursday: Heavy snow. The cars compacted the snow, which then froze so the roads were lethal. Had to walk quite a bit - simply couldn't get any traction on upslopes. Took me 1 hr 5 mins to do 6.5 miles in the morning! :shock:

Friday: Back to frozen snow again! It was a lot better at home time though.

I'm glad i stuck it out, although thursday was exhausting. I've never been that knackered after just 6 miles before! Looks like it's finally thawing today - quite looking forward to a 'normal' ride home.

Rich
  • Went out on Sunday for my first ride with a bunch of club riders (Beverley Velo, 8 in all), did 38 miles in 0-2 degrees temps and enjoyed every freezing bloody minute of it, averaged about 19mph aswell ! :shock:
    Proabaly not the best weather to break myself into riding in a bunch but i'm hooked good and proper now, a few TT's are the target this year. :D
  • I rode to work on Monday - Wednesday, but used my mountain bike for most of it. I worked from home the other two days. I went out on Sunday morning for a ride with my mate, but it was just nasty ice everywhere :(
  • Been out every Sunday since last September (apart from 28 Dec)

Done 226 miles this year on my Yeti (Sundays only)

I'm off work next week (half term) so should be able to add a few more :D

(brackets are additive when you've had a Stella) ( :shock: )
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I did my first ride since the end of Jan today - 61km and it was hard work after nearly two weeks off. I did exactly the same route as my last ride - but was 10 minutes slower today. At least the weather seems to be improving so I will hopefully get out again in the next few days.

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • i got my first road bike on the 26th of january. i rode it on my first long on sunday. then it snowed on sunday night. i got my old Mountain bike out on monday and rode it off road for 10 km. then the ice. i was going crazy until the next tuesday whe i first rode it.
  • i got my first road bike on the 26th of january. i rode it on my first long on sunday. then it snowed on sunday night. i got my old Mountain bike out on monday and rode it off road for 10 km. then the ice. i was going crazy until the next tuesday whe i first rode it.
  • I couldn't NOT go cycling that weather - I love the snow :)

I dug out my old mountain bike and made several trips over Cleeve and Leckhampton Hills - only short rides but it was good fun to get back on the MTB again - much better grip on the ice! Deep snow on the Cotswolds meant I had to push the bike at times...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtrickey/s ... 815029471/
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Great around the White Horse, loads of snow . Cars were spinning all over the place and I just took my time and passed them all :lol: and on a road bike with 700X25 tyres on. One guy even wound his window to warn me it was a bit slippery, Strange I wouldn't have guessed.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • paul_or
    paul_or Posts: 156
    Cheers for your stories everyone, seems there are plenty of hard core riders out there!!!

I got out Tuesday this week in 7 degree C mildness for a ride - lets hope we;ve seen the back of the arctic weather!! Some photos to remind you here:

http://paulmor.wordpress.com/2009/02/09/no-cyclingpart-2/
    visit my blog for more excitement

http://www.flammerouge.co.uk

After the snow had fallen, been compacted by the cars & frozen/thawed/frozen, we ended up with a thick sheet of ice down the length of our street. As we are in a cul-de-sac & there is not much traffic, there was no sign of the ice going away. It was treacherous on the bike & I had to dig a channel down one side of the street to create a safe route for cycling/walking. That was about the only exercise I had all week!

Finally managed to get out on Sunday when the weather warmed up.

Not done a lot for my fitness!