High cadence trouble

shakey88
shakey88 Posts: 289
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
Hi there,i recently purchased a singlespeed bike and i absolutley love it but the problem is when i'm going flat out(probably 130+cadence at 25 mph) i feel very unstable in the saddle and i start bouncing around!
I'm sure the saddle position is correct so is this reaction normal at a high cadence?

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    About 5 years ago a track racer told me that to keep from bouncing at high RPM's
    you need to concentrate on pushing your toes forward in the pedals as they pass
    12 o'clock. He said don't worry about pushing down, going in circles, pulling up, or anything else. Just push those toes forward. It even works. Of course, that was the "current thinking" five years ago and who knows if it still applies, but I do know that it still works. Give it a shot.

Dennis Noward
  • shakey88
    Thanks Dennis i'll give it a shot next time i hit the road :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    In my experience everyone has a cadence where you tend to bounce - keep the power on and you'll probably find it gets smoother again - my 'bounce' is somewhere around 145rpm and it smooths out above 150rpm - I just avoid this when doing spinning drills.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dennisn
    Monty Dog wrote:
    In my experience everyone has a cadence where you tend to bounce - keep the power on and you'll probably find it gets smoother again - my 'bounce' is somewhere around 145rpm and it smooths out above 150rpm - I just avoid this when doing spinning drills.

As I recall I got my cadence up to 250 once, before I started to bounce. Only problem was that my chain had broken, the 250 only lasted a half revolution, and the bonce was my b*lls off the top tube.

Dennis Noward
  • shakey88
    As I recall I got my cadence up to 250 once, before I started to bounce. Only problem was that my chain had broken, the 250 only lasted a half revolution, and the bonce was my b*lls off the top tube.

:roll: Ouch! :shock:
  • dennisn
    shakey88 wrote:

:roll: Ouch! :shock:

It can happen.

Dennis Noward