rockshox forks info

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
Just wondering, as i a noob to all this, rockshox what is the best to worst?

for example;best to worst what would you say?

RockShox Tora 302 SL

RockShox Reba SL

RockShox Recon 327

RockShox Dart 3 SL

cheers for the help in advance:)
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• The lowest spec is the Dart (which isn't a great set of forks)
    then Tora (these are superb for the money)
    then the Recon (a bit lighter)
    finally the Reba (a bit lighter again)

There are various different model types (spring, air, dual air, u-turn). In the end they're all good forks, except possibly the Dart, which is a let down compared to the rest of the range.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • funny that sinse the dart is in the most exspencive bike, the 2009 rockhopper, while 2008 has the tora, then the merlin on my list has either reba or recon 327.

what better/advantage the recon 327 or the reba sl? sinse merlin bike i looking at has a choise.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, the 2009 Rockhoppers have loads of downgrades over 2008, for the same models/prices... it's how they're beating the price rises, instead of making the bike more expensive they're making them less good :( 2008 is a good year for rockhoppers. 2009, less so. And to make it dafter 08 stock is on clearance :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a read of this too:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... eciphering

There can be a bit of overlap ie a top end Tora Race will perfrom better than a Recon SL by virtue of its superior damper.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    You're so right about the RS website SS! I don't even understand exactly what my own forks have and it seems to suggest they have U-Turn, but I'm sure they don't.... :?

Meh... They work, so I'm happy.

Shot in the dark, but are there schematic type drawings for RS forks anywhere?
  • supersonic
    There are tech documents on the RS site.

Key is to working out the exact model you have! Try and identify all the features - does it have a coil spring preload adjuster, air valve, or Uturn on the left hand fork leg top? On the right hand side look for a Motion Control adjuster, Turnkey adjuster or even a blanck cap.

Oh and the stickers of course ;-)
  • llamafarmer
    It's a 100mm Reba SL, so I think it only has:

Dual air
    Motion control
    Rebound adjust
    Remote poploc with the adjuster dial on it

Website also seems to say:

U-turn
    Dual flow rebound
    Blackbox technology

I guess there's more than 1 Reba SL
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    llamafarmer

correct. And did it come fitted to a bike? if yes then it is whatever the maker speced.

hence the identify what your fork has.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    The website seems to list all available options, and the panel on the right handside is a calamity of an effort! A good matrix would be better.

You have a Reba SL with Poploc. Simple as that lol. Has Dual Air spring, standard motion control and that poploc.

The Air Uturn is only available on the Team upwards.
    DUal Flow rebound is new technology on some 09 forks, and can be integrated into other damper systems.
    Black Box motion control for 09 uses a titanium damper tube which incorporates a high speed damper as extra over the standard MoCo.
    Also for 09 is the option of Maxle lite lowers on the Rev and Reba.
  • llamafarmer
    Cheers SS, that clears it up.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Dart 3's on my Cube. Ok so they are not the greatest out there, but doesnt it depend on what you want them to do. They do a job for me, but this the first bike i've had with suspension forks, so I've nothing to compare against. Correct me if i'm wrong but if comapnies are trying to beat the price hikes, then this level of fork will be used more and more on budget - mid range bikes
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • I went from one extreme to the other - Dart 1 to Reba SL. The difference is night and day.
    The Dart may be the cheapest Rockshox offering, but having put up with it for 18 months, I would not recommend it. Mine suffered from terrible stiction in the seals, was heavy, really not suitable for off-road riding at all.
    The Reba on the other hand is a totally different story - tuneable, light, reliable (so far), and good value (compared to a Fox equivalent).
    Just my 2p based on my personal experiences.
    Brad
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • supersonic
    Dart 1 is horrific. Dart 2 is better, basically a Dart 1 with a damper.

Dart 3 is better still, gets lighter magnesium lowers and superior build quality.

All are pretty heavy, and fairly flexy.