Rear V brake

tom3
tom3 Posts: 287
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
have ridden new bike 3 or 4 times and is a week old.

noticed the rear v brake rubbing today.

on the front when i pull the brake both sides spring back at the same time with same force.

looking at the rear brake when i pull the lever hard the left pad sticks to the rim and does not spring back, where as the right side does.

now every so often the rim rubs against the pad.

will a lbs look at it for as little cost as possible? not sure if it is the brake that is not working properly or the rim isnt true.

thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a read of setting up brakes on park tools if you want to have a go yourself.

But it sounds like the brake shoes have not been positioned correctly. should be sorted by the supplying shop for free.

there are also some return springs that if you add pressure to will help the pads return better.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    thanks

not sure if me medalling will just make it worse.

merlin supplied bike so not feasible for me to take it in.

what would you expect to be charged by lbs for a rear brake set up
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Nothing. But give them some commitment to future business. Tell them you'll be back for bike gear and repairs because you can't go to a mail order depot some distance away. Sorting the brake involves turning a screw. It can be done in seconds.
  • It's not a big job - 5 mins should do it, if you have a local LBS they should either do it for free (there and then) if they are not busy but I would say no more than a fiver.....

Literally 5 mins work if that!

EDIT: they should do it for free as above ^^^ but you never know
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Pop down to your LBS with cake or biscuits (always a good bribe) & ask them if they will have a look at it for you, explain that it's from a mail order co. & that if you get good service from the LBS you will be using them again.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Theres two screws in each arm, at the bottom, adjusting them moves the arms inwards and outwards,its worth having ago yourself, you can't do any damage.

Also, your LBS will (should) do it for nothing, my LBS gave me a couple of crank bolts the other day if i gave them something for they're tea club, my LBS is sound like that.