Cleat Alignment

vxrman
vxrman Posts: 13
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
Hi, Does anybody know any where in the East Midlands ( Leics,Notts,Derby area) that offer proper / laser cleat alignment? Since getting knocked off my bike last summer and replacing my shoes & pedals I can't seem to get my cleats aligned and suffer pain in my left knee - the more I adjust them the worse it seems to get, THANKS!

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Maybe cleat alignment isn't the problem.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/a ... rt-2-17445
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Laser cleat alignment? I thought I'd heard it all. :? Surely with only a few mm of adjustment available a comfortable position is something within the realms of anyone with an allen key. Proper bike fit is one thing but professional cleat alignment sounds a bit extreme to me. Then again if you want to be parted from some cash, go ahead.
  • It's not that fancy. Just a laser that traces a vertical line on the leg from front on and you mark a dot on the knee to see how the knee tracks. Like the lasers you get on power tools or workman's levels.

You can also do it with a long well placed ruler, just the laser makes the line really easy to see. Having the knee go up n down in one plane is not always possible but it's certainly not a bad place to start.

Remember a cleat can be moved fore-aft, laterally, twisted side to side, be lifted with symmetrical shims placed under them and tilted with non-symmetrical shims, so there are many ways a cleat can be moved, all of which impact on the way our legs track.

Some are more sensitive to it than others. Some find a good placement with a bit of trial and error. I prefer to have a professional do it.

Once you have a cleat position you like, then mark around the cleat using a liquid paper pen or a texta, that way you know exactly where to replace it when it comes time to change them for fresh ones.
  • Hi

Have a look at BikeDynamics.co.uk. They are a bit further away than you would like in Warwickshire but very good. They sorted out my misalignment problems by tweaking the cleat and putting a shim under the insoles. Worked a treat.
  • Have you seen the BG FIT article? I think there is one in Birmingham
  • vxrman
    vxrman Posts: 13
    Kneesaway - thanks for the response, I've spoken to Mike at Bikedynamics and booked a session with him next week, THANKS AGAIN for the advice!