'One way' bike box rental

Flane
Flane Posts: 16
edited February 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi, I am planning to ride from Tromso, Norway back to the UK this summer. I will need a hard case bike box for the flight over but will obviously not need it from then on. Does anyone know of a rental service that could accommodate me or will I have to arrange to get the box sent back? Has anyone done this?
Many thanks

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Hi

It probably would be a nice business opportunity.

You don't need a hard case - lots of people travel succssfully without them. See here for lots of ideas on alternatives:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 121ca97fa2

the simplest would be to use a cardboard box and put it in the recycling when you arrive.
  • Flane
    Thanks but have had a bike trashed in the past so will not risk anything but a hard case. I also have a flight transfer on the way so risk doubles!
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    Ive flown lots and have always used soft bike bag with full pipe lagging and protection around chainwheel/bottombracket, I always remove rear derailler (zip tie together with chain in plastic bag in rear triangle) and pedals- proper bike shop carboard bike box with bike packed with lagging and extra carboard around wheels and chainwheel should be ok
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Whenever I've used a cardboard box it's had various holes punched in it by the time it gets where it's going. Fortunately nothing's been damaged though.

If I was particularly precious about by bike I think I'd consider lining the box with a few bits of hardboard. It's dirt cheap so could be binned at the end.

I had the same business idea a while ago of one-way case rental but decided it would make pretty much no money at all. It's a shame airlines aren't more enlightened - they could have stocks of boxes to loan out at each airport.
  • El Gordo wrote:

I had the same business idea a while ago of one-way case rental but decided it would make pretty much no money at all. It's a shame airlines aren't more enlightened - they could have stocks of boxes to loan out at each airport.

I'd imagine they're as enlightened as you are--they might've considered it, but rejected the idea on grounds of cost-effectiveness. Not only would the prospective rental outfit have to lay out loads of cash for boxes that might not ever get used (cyclists don't form THAT high a proportion of air passengers), they'd have to pay for somewhere to keep them and staff time to ensure they're in good condition. Also given that there's already a multiplicity of parties involved in getting stuff moved, having the owner and user of the box not being the same person might throw up legal issues.

I'd agree with others that a hard case probably isn't necessary. However, Flane if you're determined to have one have you considered selling it when you arrive? You could try to find Norwegian forum counterparts of this one before you go and posting (IME, if you don't speak/write the lingo, most Norwegians can deal at least OK with English). Things are generally pretty expensive in Norway (compared with here, even with the £ as it is), in the case of the more unusual consumer goods even assuming they have them; so even offering it for what you paid for it may well be an attractive price there. Shouldn't be a problem with import duties etc., since by having your bike in it it's obvious it's for your personal use.
  • Couldn't you just ship your bikebox back to home when your done, or to your lbs maybe. It'll cost a bit, but shouldn't be overwhelmingly expensive.
  • Flane
    Thanks all for your advise.
    I am incredibly precious about my bike as you all seem to have guessed. Its a lovely Condor Heritage. I think I will buy a hard case and send it back to avoid such dilemmas in the future. Now thats sorted my next pre-occupation is one of avoiding hungry Norwegian bears. Any tips?