Effect on bike handling by changing to longer forks.

anoyceperson
anoyceperson Posts: 66
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys

I am now considering purchasing a set of Fox Float RL 130 forks, however I was wondering how this would affect the geometry of the bike, and more importantly how it would affect the handling of the bike...

This would be an increase of 50mm of travel on top of what I had previously.

I have currently got RockShox Tora 302 80mm travel as on here...

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s2p1265

Cheers!

Andy

Comments

• Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    edited February 2009
    it will make a difference to the ride position and the frame geometry, but it wont mean you cant ride or steer. it may feel a bit twitchy and soft at first but you will get used to it pretty quickly.

the frame is pretty strong so it wont snap off at the steerer tube (probably)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited February 2009
    Hi Guys

I am now considering purchasing a set of Fox Float RL 130 forks, however I was wondering how this would affect the geometry of the bike, and more importantly how it would affect the handling of the bike...

This would be an increase of 50mm of travel on top of what I had previously.

I have currently got RockShox Tora 302 80mm travel as on here...

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s2p1265

Cheers!

Andy

dont do it.

1 the bike is not warrentied for it.
    2 it is not designed for it
    3 get a suitable bike.

Oh and for every inch the axle to crown height changes the head angle changes by 1 degree.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Not a good idea. It will put pressure on the steerer tube which could lead to it failing.

You don`t want your steerer tube failing when you doing 30mph
  • Ok, I will scrap that idea then! Thanks for the (very swift) input guys.

One question though, is the amount of travel always an indication of how long the actual fork is.

By this I mean could you have two forks that when fully extended are the same length, but one have far more travel than the other? I assume this would be technically possible as you would just have a part of the fork that wasnt used for suspension travel..
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    an increment of about 10 to 20mm is usually ok but 50mm is stretching too far!

Yes the above is possible. The measurement you're looking for is the axle to crown height (I think). they can vary a little bit but not massively eg you're not going to find a 130mm travel fork with a similar axle / crown height to a 80mm fork.