Commuting in with a creche drop off....

chuckcork
chuckcork Posts: 1,471
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone else do this and have some advice?

Scenario is that I'm looking (hoping!) to start a job next week, and was planning on dropping my young girl (18 months) off at her creche, a mile from home, on the way to work, and then continue on to work another 13 miles or so away. Most of the time I'd be dropping her there and my missus would be doing the pickup, options for the run in seem to be either use the childs cycle seat that I have already, and either leave at creche for the missus to pick up with child, or take with me; or get one of those child trailers, and leave that behind for pickup ditto.

Complication is that my missus uses public transport to get to and from work, the creche is a mile from the nearest rail, and to get there in time before the creche closes she would have to get a taxi.

Questions for those who do this: cycle seat or trailer: which is more practical, seat or trailer (9 times out of 10 a drop barred audax bike)? Is it practical to walk a trailer home with child inside? Any issues with a drop barred bike and a trailer (can't think why there would be?)

Sorry if that makes little sense, but trying to make sense myself of the logistics involved.
'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....

Comments

• I would imagine a trailer is better if the weather is crap. I have a mate who did it for a while with a trailer. Cycled to the creche on the pavement (bboooo) then ditched the trailer. The missus picked up the young lad on her way home in the car. He collected the trailer on his way home. Worked ok I think.

He had a cheapo trailer from Argos and it did the job. I've a trek go-bugwhich is probably v similar to the argos version except twice the price and a bit fancier. Wish I'd got the one that also turns into a stroller, but hey ho..

Anyway, my mate soon got the missus up the duff again and she now does all the running around on maternity leave.....
    Time you've enjoyed wasting, hasn't been wasted

Bianchi L'Una, Bianchi 928 C2C 105, Dahon MU SL
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Trailer that turns into a stroller. Shouldn't be aproblem attaching this to a sturdy bike. You'd better check with the creche though whether they would be prepared to have the trailer lying around - may be lack of space / health & safety issues.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Trailer that turns into a stroller. Shouldn't be aproblem attaching this to a sturdy bike. You'd better check with the creche though whether they would be prepared to have the trailer lying around - may be lack of space / health & safety issues.

indeed kids and their stuff do seem to take up vast amounts of space.
  • chuckcork
    Thanks for the suggestions, didn't know they made trailers that convert to strollers.

I'l probably go for the Croozer or the more expensive Trek shown, with a second child on the way and due in August I'm sure we'll get the use out of one for a few years so probably worth spending the dosh on quality.
  • cjcp
    Can your wife get off at the stop before? I think it's less than a mile from there.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I used to use the bike seat and just leave it on the bike (put my bag in it when i dropped off the little man)

Last time we did it I was wondering why he kept commenting about the sky.

Stopped at the nursery got off looked round and he was practically laid down backward, arse skipping the back wheel. :lol:

Think he may be a touch heavy....mmmm didn't know the metal would bend that far and not break! bit lucky

other than that issue I'd stick with the seat as long as possible and just leave it on the bike
  • I'd look at chariot or croozer, both of which are exceptionally well made and have very good fittings to mount onto the bike.
  • chuckcork
    cjcp wrote:
    Can your wife get off at the stop before? I think it's less than a mile from there.

The creche is just off Portsmouth Road in Kingston, and I don't think my girl is capable of walking the 1.3km home. My missus is also pregnant with No.2 so carrying out 11kg child is out of the question, hard enough for me as it is!

Trick is not the transporting there, its the getting back again with the missus and not me, so I think the Croozer or similar is it.
  • cjcp
    chuckcork wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

The creche is just off Portsmouth Road in Kingston, and I don't think my girl is capable of walking the 1.3km home. My missus is also pregnant with No.2 so carrying out 11kg child is out of the question, hard enough for me as it is!

Trick is not the transporting there, its the getting back again with the missus and not me, so I think the Croozer or similar is it.

Ahh, I see. I was thinking of somewhere completely different.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I once saw a kiddie trailer that not only converted into a decent looking stroler but you put also replace the wheels with skis. I thought that seemed like a superb idea but with my lack of skiing ability perhaps it would be a little hairy.

Annoyingly though I can't remember what it was called... It was also quite pricey I think.
  • What about a rucksack?
    Dan
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    I am in exactly the same position and have tried both options.

I used to use a CTS Chariot to take no. 1 in and then trail it to work with me. Good training and you can also carry shopping etc in it. You can buy 'dolly wheels' to fit on the front, so it can be converted into a buggy for Mrs Chuck to take home. They also do a double version which might help when no. 2 comes along. Downside is they cost in the region of £500 but are very well made and fold down quite easily to save space. Burley make cheaper options which also look pretty good.

I now use a Co-Pilot Limo seat to take no. 1 in and leave it on the bike. However, my commute is shorter than yours and the seat is a bit of an air-brake. Might be a pain after a few miles, but then again its training! I can imagine it would be a complete a*se for Mrs. C to carry this home, plus the kids, after work. So that's probably a no-no.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do once no. 2 starts at the same nursery. Luckily, having moved house, its now within walking distance so I'll probably try and walk 1, carry 2 and push the bike at the same time!!

Not buying a car though. No way...

:lol:
  • The ski attachment for a chariot bike trailer

16635chariot_alt1.jpg
    Time you've enjoyed wasting, hasn't been wasted

Bianchi L'Una, Bianchi 928 C2C 105, Dahon MU SL
  • lucullus
    lucullus Posts: 20
    We've got a 2-seat Croozer. Before no 2 arrived, I cycled to nursery with our daughter in it. Took her in. Then folded the trailer and left it safe inside the nursery buggy park area. My wife drives to work, so put the trailer in the boot (it is kind of bulky, but she managed Ok), and then got the little one.

We're very happy with the Croozer - it's robust, comfortable and safe, and folds flat.

Just need to work out what to do now we have two girls - maternity leave means the missus is happy to do the nursery drop-off, so I don't get that bit any more!