Ardechoise

dag_on_a_bike
dag_on_a_bike Posts: 581
Anyone done it? Opinion?

Any recommendations - for the Ardechoise at 216km?

Is there any way I can get the full route so I can upload to my Garmin Edge 705?

Thanks.
There's no such thing as too old.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's good, France's biggest sportive. I did it in 2005 or 06, the route is beautiful and you pass through some villages where the locals turn out in force. You can make of it what you want, at the front it is a full on race, at the back there are people in fancy costume. Recommended.

As for the GPS, the website has the routes, you could use mapping software but you'd need the French map.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    A quick search on Bikely reveals this. I'm not sure whether it's the same route, though, the distance is different. The dropdown list from 'share' has a couple of formats for download.

Don't know if this helps. :?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I did it in 2006 and will definitely do it again. I chose it as an alternative to the Etape because I wanted a ride I could enter independently rather than through a tour company.
    Since all the rides start and finish in St. Felicien, the Ardechoise is easy logistically. (well that's my excuse for not entering the Etape)

The organisation was excellent; I had no problems despite only limited French and the fact that there are relatively few foreign riders.

Although not as high as the Alps, there's a lot of climbing and the last climb has short sections of 1 in 6

The only down side is that St. Felicien is a fairly remote village, only really accessible by car. After looking at various options I decided to drive from London- an adventure in itself in my 1973 Vauxhall Viva.

I am seriously considering doing it this year in an effort to improve on my rather average performance last time, and to seek retribution from the elderly Frenchman who, after the finish as I walked my bike up the steep track into the car park, rode nonchalontly past wagging a disapproving finger saying 'dernier col, monsieur'.
  • zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
    Done it twice; Ardechoise in 2005 and Sucs in 2008 (so effectively have done all the possible courses)

It's very achievable, you can do it on minimal training if you are used to UK 200s (otherwise the 170km Volcanique is a good distance which takes in the best cols); there aren't really any massive hills. But what really makes it is the sheer scale of it, the big field and the fantastic support and colour of all the villages. High temperatures are common though so be prepared. Getting there is tricky too; You could ride from Grenoble airport (which is nowhere near Grenoble) only the last bit is hilly; I was going to do this last year but in the end 3 of us went so we hired a car. You can camp anywhere around the village for free.

it's a must!
  • I think if you enter now (or maybee the date has just past) you can get a priority start number...I haven't entered yet as I think I will have family over from NZ then but everyone in my French club says it is the best French sportive of the year.
  • zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
    I think if you enter now (or maybee the date has just past) you can get a priority start number...I haven't entered yet as I think I will have family over from NZ then but everyone in my French club says it is the best French sportive of the year.

I think all foreign riders get a 15000 number which entitles you to use the cordoned off start lane at the front; You are away 5 mins after the off (and overtaken by the rest of the field within 25 :lol: )