what to wear without spending alot

40427 Posts: 119
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
i'm on the edge of buying either tights aswell as shorts but is it cheaper and just as affeective to buy leg warmers.hmmmmmmmmm what should i do.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got DHB Merston bibtights for £40. Toasty! And the legs don't slide down.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    don't bother with leg warmers - more trouble than they're worth. Get some longs.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• DHB 3/4 bibtights on wiggle just now for about £16

Just got a pair, for the price you can't beat them!
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    In cooler weather I find shorts and leg warmers to be ok, when it gets colder I wear shorts with tight type track suit bottoms (Ron Hill Bikesters) and when its freezing I wear them all. I have had proper padded winter bib trousers but I found them to be too warm. Same with my upper body, wear a few layers then you can adjust your temperature. I have bought branded kit from the local bike shop, online stuff from Wiggle and kit from ALDI. The best surprise was the ALDI kit, I have a couple of jackets, shirts & long sleeve shirts and they are excellent. I have a couple of base layer shirts but the best is a very old Helly (now quite smelly) Hansen which seems to be virtually indestructible. Non of my kit has cost a fortune as I tend to look out for the special offers.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    If you're size small waist you can pick up nike or hind shorts , plus size med nike legwarmers (they are actually pretty small) for about £18 quid the lot.

Have tried Aldi shorts and wasn't impressed - the material is too flimsy.

Keep a look out in TKMaxx they often have New Balance jackets & baselayers - have seen Montane cycle stuff in there too
  • Tony Mc
    Tony Mc Posts: 180
    heftyrider wrote:
    DHB 3/4 bibtights on wiggle just now for about £16

+1 excellemt value for money and if its a bit colder I just put long walking socks on pulled right up.. hey presto Longs
    Getting there
  • Tony Mc
    heftyrider wrote:

+1 excellemt value for money and if its a bit colder I just put long walking socks on pulled right up.. hey presto Longs
    Getting there
  • Tony Mc
    +1 Merton 3/4 excellemt value for money and if its a bit colder I just put long walking socks on pulled right up.. hey presto Longs
    Getting there
  • All the DHB range of gear is pretty good value for money and the longies will keep you very toasty. Keep the arm & legwarmers for spring and autumn.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
    - Bianchi Via Nirone 2009
    - Ribble Winter/Training + 105
    - Boardman Team Carbon 2009
  • at the moment I'm wearing shorts if it's above 5 degrees. But, if the weather is cold, all I do is stick my under armour running tights underneath my shorts. Slightly compromises the insert I guess but those under armour tights are magnificent.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    heftyrider wrote:

Thanks for the tip.

I've just ordered a pair as fed up with leg warmers.

0/
  • sampras38
    Hi all. I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post. I've entered my first organised ride in June, the Dragon Wales ride (185km) and wondered if anyone had any tips to prepare. I'm not a member of any club, but tend to train on my own or with a couple of more experienced club riders. Weather permitting I'm currently doing at least one long ride at weekends (40-50 miles with climbs incl) or possibly 2 rides per weekend, with regular intense turbo work in the week. As the weather improves and the nights get lighter I will obviously get out more in the week. I'm working hard on my fitness and diet, and I'm pretty happy with my progress so far. Just don't know how much to push it.

I'm not a traditional cyclist build as I have done other sports in the past that require a little more weight. My bodyfat is pretty low but I know I need to be a lot lighter to get the best out of a climbing ride. I'm 6ft and currently weigh 193lb, with a BMI of just over 26. As i'm quite muscular I'm not too concerned about the BMI.

I ride a Scott CR1 Pro 2007 with a compact crank.

Any help much appreciated.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Stopping for a leak when wearing bib tights is a bit of a pain. I go for leg warmers, had no problems with them slipping down.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    sampras38 wrote:
    Hi all. I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post. I've entered my first organised ride in June, the Dragon Wales ride (185km) and wondered if anyone had any tips to prepare. I'm not a member of any club, but tend to train on my own or with a couple of more experienced club riders. Weather permitting I'm currently doing at least one long ride at weekends (40-50 miles with climbs incl) or possibly 2 rides per weekend, with regular intense turbo work in the week. As the weather improves and the nights get lighter I will obviously get out more in the week. I'm working hard on my fitness and diet, and I'm pretty happy with my progress so far. Just don't know how much to push it.

I'm not a traditional cyclist build as I have done other sports in the past that require a little more weight. My bodyfat is pretty low but I know I need to be a lot lighter to get the best out of a climbing ride. I'm 6ft and currently weigh 193lb, with a BMI of just over 26. As i'm quite muscular I'm not too concerned about the BMI.

I ride a Scott CR1 Pro 2007 with a compact crank.

Any help much appreciated.
    Welcome Sampras. You might do better with replies if you start your own thread in Beginners or maybe Training.
  • sampras38
    Thanks, and sorry, I was trying to do too many things at once. Just reposted in the new to training section.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Base layers - picked up Nike Pro vent sleeveless for £5 from JJB.

or you could try the new "Cycles Direct" section of your local "Sports Direct" store - well you could if you were looking for a 5th rate "Dunlop" .. (Dunlop??) branded full sus, MTB