New to MTBing

Coopervisor
Coopervisor Posts: 8
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
Well i suppose i'm not completely new, i did quite abit of mucking around on bikes when i was younger, must be about 10-12 years ago.

I've recently decided to start a health drive and eating better, so i dug my old bike out of my mums garage and plan on getting it ship shape again.

It's an old Identiti Dr Jekyll. Now it's got cable disc brakes and the front 1 is broke, so i'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand brake, possibly hydrolic if i can find a good cheap 2nd hand brake system. Any idea what i should be looking for? I was thinking £50 would get me a midrange brake from a few years ago?

I was also looking at replacing the old RST forks with, again a 2nd hand pair if i can get some good value. When I was in the know, the 1st time round, it was all about the bright orange Marzocchi Z1s, has this changed much? Could I get a good pair of 2nd hand forks for under £70?

The final issue is the bolt that screws into the star fangled bolt thing in the steerer has had the allen key hole stripped and so is impossible to get off normally, can this be fixed at home or will a cycle shop be used to dealing with this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance.
Coops

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    £50 will get you a good new brake
    Shimano M575
    Avid juicy three
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, 50 will get new systems.

Also new forks like a Tora for 100 or so.
  • Thanks for the replies, i've had a look around online and both the Juicy 3s and Shimano M575 are between £55 and £75 at most online stores. I did however find a new Juicy 5 front disc brake for £44.95, just it comes without the rotor, is this a deal worth going for? Can I get a matching rotor for quite cheap?

As for forks, i've been looking at ebay and will spend some time seeing how much stuff goes for as 2nd hand.
  • Welcome to the Forum.

Enjoy your bike.

David