New White Rose Classic Route 2009

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
Anyone daring this?....I can't as Im in Gran Canaria probably spewing over all the monstrous hills around there....but I reckon this will test the Soul...

Starting in Hawes...then out to Garsdale for the first ascent of the day...Coal Road...although this is probably the toughest climb on the EdDs and the WRC its merely a warm up on this brute....its then onto Dent for the Infamous Kingsdale climb....anyone did this?...have been informed its not a pleasant experience and tougher than the Coal Road?....then its backroads to Langcliffe for another brutal climb up the back of there and over Malham Moor..(with double chevrons enroute)...then its the onto 'for me' the toughest climb in the dales...Park Rash and its 1:3 brutal start...then its rolling roads for the enormous climb over Redmire....followed by another long sapping effort over Tan Hill....before the finish....a trundle up the tougher side of Buttertubs before the excellent descent back to hawes...maybe only a 100miles but I reckon could be the toughest test in the Dales....

really fancy this but it will have to wait....

Comments

• Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    I have only ridden down Kingsdale, but It will be a very tough climb, in the same league as Fleet Moss from the Hawes side I would imagine. There is a gate about 2/3rds of the way up as well, which will be a pain to get off to open and close and break your rythm.
    I agree that Park Rash being the toughest climb in the Dales, but Fleet Moss from the Hawes side is right up there with it.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2009
    Kingsdale is indeed tough and the descent needs care as there are some broken road surfaces and gravelly areas. I don't find it as tough as the Coal Road ridden from the Dentdale side. It is right up there with some of the hardest Dales climbs though!

I'm a little undecided whether to do this ride or not as it replicates some of the Richmond 5 Dales route. It looks like the hardest Yorkshire Dales sportive yet,and Its one of the 'possibles' on my list for July . I've just got to make my mind up.
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    Nick, I had forgotten how tough doing Coal Road from the Dentdale side is! Just getting up to the station is hell. It is tougher than doing the climb from the other side.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • I've been meaning to give that Kingsdale climb a go for ages now - reckon it must be the hardest in the Dales I haven't done yet. Trouble is it's at least an 85 mile round trip to it from my house, so I'm not doing it until we get some better weather! Agree with SteveGT about Fleet Moss; I seem to find climbs where the steepest bits are at the end really tough, so while I usually die a thousand deaths on Fleet Moss (Hawes side), I'm not unduly bothered by Park Rash.

Anyway, it looks like a great sportive and I may well give it a go.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yip, the Dent side of Coal Road is a brute...I found this tougher than the Garsdale side aswell....and Fleetmoss from Hawes is a killer...that last 150meters of 25% is truly awful......but Park Rash is just so steep....I found it knee breaking....think the Oxnop climb out of Askrigg would be a great inclusion in a sportive...its the 2nd toughest I've did in the Dales....and gorgeous......but I must confess that the Dales climbs don't kill me near as much as some of the brutes in the Lake District or the NY Moors....

It will be nice to hear the feedback from this new route as Buttertubs the hard way wont be any picnic at 90odd miles....