suntour XCR fork with lock out

tom3
tom3 Posts: 287
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
dumb questions i know.

on the other side to the lock out on the fork is that the rebound damping?

is that how quickly the suspension moves back from a coiled position? Also when i turn it from plus to minus it clicks and then i can continue turning it? is that right.

also with the lock out is it either on or off i.e can you keep it on half lock etc.

the forks seem a bit spongy is there any way i can make the stiffer.

an idiots guide to suspension forks would be great.

Comments

• yes

yes

not advised

yes, heavier springs.
  • tom3
    thanks

with the damping ive just checked. i can turn it 180 degrees toward to the + and back to the -. but when i push it passed either with a bit more pressure it makes a load click and lets me continue turning is that right?

also is it when you turn towards the + the feedback is stiffer or the other way around.

cheers
  • when it clicks stop turning. youre not doing anything.

the + means softer, - means harder.
  • tom3
    oops, by making it click 3-4 times in one direction would it break the rebound?
  • Are you sure these forks have a rebound adjustment? I used to have a set of these and they had a preload adjuster and lockout, not a rebound adjuster.
    Custom FS built around a Mongoose Otero frame
    CUBE Ltd Race
  • tom3
    im not sure tbh, what is preload adjuster?

when i turn it either way doesnt seem to make a difference
  • Custom FS built around a Mongoose Otero frame
    CUBE Ltd Race
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My XCRs (OEM spec on a Carrera Kraken) definately had rebound adjustment... And it worked too ;) It didn't have the range that my revelations have but then, they have a stupid amount of range so that's not really a problem.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What exact model of XCR do we have here? For 2008 theres is a basic XCR, an XCR DA, XCR LO, XCR TA, XCR RL...

The left side is usually a coil spring with preload adjuster. The right side can be another spring (on the basic XCR) or a lockout, or a rebound adjuster.

So if you definitely have a lockout adjuster, you do NOT have a rebound adjuster - it will be the coil preload.

The workshop has a basic guide to sus forks. Preload makes very minor changes to the sag or ride height of the fork.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    supersonic wrote:
    So if you definitely have a lockout adjuster, you do NOT have a rebound adjuster - it will be the coil preload.

What do you mean by "lockout adjuster?" My old XCR 120mm (which I think are most likely XCR-LO) have both a lockout (on handlebar in my case and rebound adjuster.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • tom3
    not sure on the model. its on an '08 commencal normal.

on the right side it has written on a blue handle 'speed lock'. when i push it right round it locks the forks out. however, if i push it round half way it stiffens the forks a bit so they dont feel as mushy. is it advisable to do this or not?

on the left it has the switch which has the plus or minus screen. my worry with that switch is to firstly find out what it is and secondly if i have damaged it by turning it constantly past the point it clicks.

on the left fork it has written 'AND' if that helps.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    tom3 wrote:
    not sure on the model. its on an '08 commencal normal.

on the right side it has written on a blue handle 'speed lock'. when i push it right round it locks the forks out. however, if i push it round half way it stiffens the forks a bit so they dont feel as mushy. is it advisable to do this or not?

on the left it has the switch which has the plus or minus screen. my worry with that switch is to firstly find out what it is and secondly if i have damaged it by turning it constantly past the point it clicks.

on the left fork it has written 'AND' if that helps.

My X100s have the same lockout cartridge. The "Speed Lock" is effectively a compression damping adjust, so you can leave it half way :wink: On the left is a preload adjuster.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • tom3
    thanks blackspur

to adjust the pre load to i have to do the full 360 degrees turn to make it click each time or is it only adjustable 180 degrees
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    If you look at the diral I think there is a window with a yellow stick in. As you turn the dial that should move up and down - you have to turn it through several 360 degree rotations to do this. Going towards the + arrow adds preload, stiffening the fork slightly and the - does the opposite. It makes very little difference though.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supersonic
    Northwind wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

What do you mean by "lockout adjuster?" My old XCR 120mm (which I think are most likely XCR-LO) have both a lockout (on handlebar in my case and rebound adjuster.

Well, a lockout dial lol. Some people run it half shut for some comp damping but I would not do this.

The 2009 models - unless some OE spec, its either lockout, or damping adjuster and not both. The TA is a hydro travel adjust.
  • OK EVERYONE WHO IS CONFUSED!!

ill sort this out for you straight away.

IF you have suntour RL forks!

Looking down on your forks from the saddle

1) On the right, your lock out adjuster-makes your forks hard, or soft
    2) On the left you have a coil pre-load, this clicks loudly when you turn it, if you want my honest opinion, it does pretty much fuck all and wont do alot to your forks performance no matter how long you fiddle with it.
    Do not expect results from fucking around with it.

If you have Suntour RL forks, you do not have a Rebound Adjuster, this is at the bottom of the fork and alets the speed of which the fork returns to its origional position.
    These are on higher spec forks.

HERE COMES THE SCIENCE BIT...!
    Suntour Forks are generally budget forks, and are pretty middle of the road gear to be fair,
    The knobs and buttons on them are pretty much useless.
    High spec bike companies like TREK use them on bikes like the 6000, which is a fucking shit hot bike, but to keep the price in a certain bracket of spec, they put shitty Suntour RL forks on.
    Dont ask me why they put toss forks on a bike with Hydraulic suspension and top end wheel sets etc, thay just do.

My advice is, stop fucking around with the adjustment of your bloody forks and get out and fucking ride, you will soon learn what works for you, and what upgrades you can buy to suit your style, but as a noob, just get out there.
    You will definately invest in rockshox or better within a year, thats just the natural curve. But dont be one of these dicks with all the gear, no idea.
    Hopefully this was helpfull.
  • supersonic
    Preload sets the ride height, doesn't do much for performance as the spring rate is unchanged.

Lockout does lock them out, and on this version is a hydraulic cartridge which offers some damping.

RL stands for Remote Lockout.

The DA version (Damping Adjust) generally has a red rebound adjuster where the lockout cap would have been.