should my rear wheel run dead in the middle of my frame?

landscapingsam
landscapingsam Posts: 174
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
i noticed my rear wheel isn't exactly centre in my frame on the back, tried another wheel and this is marginly better but still not right, is there an offset due to the cassette?

i have been experiencing some unsteadyness lately as mentioned in the previous post could this be why?

I ride a Giant SCR3 which is alloy, if the frame is out wil it ever go back right and stay there?

thanks in advance

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    It should run centrally, yes. The wheelbuild should compensate for the hub dimensions, using shorter spokes on the driveside to pull the rim central over the wheel.

If it is the frame, as it's aluminium, it's dead.
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    The front wheel should be in the centre of the forks and the rear wheel should be in line with the front.
    To check this you can stand the bike against a straight plank of wood or simply look from the rear of the bike to see if they are in line. In most cases the manufacturer will have built the bike so the rear wheel is in the centre of the frame (chain stays). The rear wheel has what is known as ‘dish’ which is basically pulling the wheel rim into line by tightening or loosening the spokes on either side of the wheel to bring it into line.
    I would doubt your frame is the problem unless you have had a very hard prang.