Riding in the snow?

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
Has anyone else had a lot of fun riding the snow this last week?

I've not been riding anything particularly extreme, just a tiny loop around a little of the woods close to my house that I use to thrash around to wake up first thing in the morning and that I am using to build up a bit of stamina ready for some Trail riding this spring/summer.

I have found that riding on the snow (even the ice crusted snow this morning) has been an enjoyable experience with a suprising amount of grip from the tires (Kenda Komodo). The only worrying bit about it is the lack of visibilty I have of the actual ground, though I am a huge fan of staying loose and trying to get that "floating" feeling and so unexpected roots and ruts haven't really been much of a hassle. Infact the uncertainty is probably what I have been enjoying so much.

Has anyone else been out in it this week?

Comments

• i ride to work in every morning. its a hoot.

remember to give ur bike a through wipe down and lube.
  • i had a thrash round my local area this morning,no snow though,mostly hard ice,very slippy but made it more enjoyable trying not to fall off.
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    Not a drop of snow settled anywhere near me (in South Cumbria) it's so unfair :(
  • Loads of snow near me first time for 2 years! also first time for 2 years I didnt have a rideable mountainbike, just sold my DMR and havent finished the kinesis :(
  • Did about 19km in the snow the other night, around local trails and fields. Nothing overly extreme but good fun none the less. Amazed how much grip there was, still managed to fall off once though. And seemed to lose shoe grip everytime I had to climb a fence.

Also surprised how snow leads to a little extra effort, had a goodish workout.
    09 Rockhopper
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    went out on monday and did about 12 miles.yeah, i really enjoyed it,rear tyre only let go a couple of times.its worth the extra effort
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    I hate the snow....however...it was super cold last night and most of the ridiculously muddy trails will be frozen and therefore ridable. Im going to go up Dumyat (a decent sized hill) which has snow on it...I dont know whether I am happy or sad about this. :?

Will let you know.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Managed to get out round the hills every day in the stuff so far - absolutely brilliant. :D

Couldn't be bothered changing tyres so I've been on the new Conti traffic (1.9) 09's and providing there's a bare minimum powdery sprinkle of snow over ice, I think I could only feel a loss of control about 3 times total. Impressed for semi slick mtb road tyres. :shock:
  • Off up the hills tonight, sadly it's all thawing out on the lower ground which will lead to black ice so not to sure how to get there :)

Wanted to ride BUT!!!!
  • Mastineo
    Mastineo Posts: 182
    Just done 11 milesin local woods on mostly virgin snow, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thoroughly knackered.
    John
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's great isn't it... The only downer was that I literally just finished putting a 2.35 on the front of mine, and pushing the wider tyre through all that fresh snow was hard work. But it's great, it reinvents all the old boring trails, and frozen mud and water gives really interesting riding (last week, I went round an old loop, and all the river crossings were frozen over- so it was a case of icebreaking my way through it or sliding over, fantastic...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I had great day yesterday. The snow came down about 5am and I was out in it about 6 ish
    I was really suprised how the bike coped with the slippery conditions, the back end only letting go once or twice. It was really cool seeing the snow come down in the light beams as i was riding through the woods...I did about 6 miles or so round the river trent and Attenborough area.
  • second chance!! more snow arrived this morning and i may get my bike back from the lbs today
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    Went out today in the snow soon turned to slush though so was a slog for most of it
  • uazik6
    uazik6 Posts: 22
    just back from a 8 mile ride on pretty grippy snow running on panaracer trailrakers.Only managed to wipe out twice,once from having to avoid 6 red-deer hinds and calves at very-very close quarters.I'm not sure who got the biggest shock! Great sight though!
    Look forward to the weekend-'Highland Wildcat'-'the Laing way round' with son,12 and to Laggan Wolftrax on sunday.
  • Well.....just been out for a couple of hours....my mate said "take that shortcut".
    what a mistake, we ended up riding down a slush covered field for about 2 miles give or take...the bikes is a total mess ive got mud up my nose and im freezing cold....lol
    roll on tomorrow!!!
  • been riding to work and back all week on my rigid MTB but tomorrow i hope to get out on my full susser locally and up peak district sunday for some fun.

The snow is great and your right as long as you stay of the compacted stuff you have a fair amount of grip, its all good training in bike control. :lol:
  • Out on Harrow Hill Midalnds. Straight down the hill on a 100mm hardtail was a laugh, although the climb after wasnt... The snow is nearly up the hubs in some places so the Choir Masters had a proper workout trying to hang on. It's suprising grippy fresh snow, although the slushy roads are a nightmare. Knackered but happy :D
  • Hi, I went over to Thetford this morning, there was some snow on the forest trails but never the less i carried on, had a few moments where my arse clamped onto the seat in the first mile. Second mile was a different story, found a big patch of ice which wiped the front away and landed in a big heap.... Managed to walk back as my wrist / elbow / knee and ego all bruised. Driving home was a little painful but it is the risk you take. It was my first major off since i got into biking 8 months ago, it was gonna happen sometime.

Already looking forward to the next trip out :D
  • riding in the snow is awesome, was snowing at the top of whinlatter and when the tyres did let go it was great fun! Certainly something different

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • adun1408
    adun1408 Posts: 123
    Been for a blast round hamsterley today, boy it was hard work. There's a few of us going out again tomorrow , should be a laugh. :lol:
  • gbianchi wrote:
    Hi, I went over to Thetford this morning, there was some snow on the forest trails but never the less i carried on, had a few moments where my ars* clamped onto the seat in the first mile. Second mile was a different story, found a big patch of ice which wiped the front away and landed in a big heap.... Managed to walk back as my wrist / elbow / knee and ego all bruised. Driving home was a little painful but it is the risk you take. It was my first major off since i got into biking 8 months ago, it was gonna happen sometime.

Already looking forward to the next trip out :D

Update, went to A&E yesterday, the kind Doctors told me that i have fractured my elbow. 6-8 weeks they reckon that i should rest....

Bummer :(
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    It's only 200m up on the Chase but it was frickin cold. Everyone's tyre tracks and footprints were frozen solid in the snow CRRRUNCHCRRRRUNCHCRRRRRRRUNCHCRACKLECRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCH
  • I Had Good Snow, But My Bikes Like Covered In Dirty Crap.
    Handsome Dog Rockhound Custom Build.
    (Got Bored Of DMR)
    Roll On 24's People
  • Got 15' and went down hard

Great fun
  • gbianchi9 wrote:
    6-8 weeks they reckon that i should rest....

Bummer :(

Thats just Quack talk for 5 days
  • Went just outside Cardiff on Saturday there was loads of snow around but we weren't expecting it. I was on a new bike and it was a great ride to get familiar with. Snow was great fun and also hard work at times. There was some ice too which we had to be careful of but overall it was awesome - wish we had it more often!!

DSC00676.jpg[/img]
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i refer to my previous post on the issue.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12598574

riding in the schnay is great
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    Nothing particularly extreme but we got out on Saturday and rode some of the bridleways local to us as we only had a couple of hours to spare.

3266184352_9729a412f6_b.jpg

3266160146_8fc4373b31_b.jpg
  • I managed out a couple of times last weekend up to the local country park near where I stay, great fun, but my SPD pedals kept freezing up so I couldn't get the cleat on the shoe back into them :? Heated SPD pedals anyone? :lol:

Snow seems to have mostly melted here, heading out again tomorrow but expecting it to be muddy this time...