What is wrong with Bikeradar?

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
I've had this for ages and ages now. Eventually all I get is a white page and nothing will load at all unless I delete my cookies.

When I used Firefox I have to keep deleting cookies otherwise pages won't load - and it's nothing to do with the Server issues but that's making everything even worse.

Every computer I use if I stay on BR for a while I have to delete my cookies if I use Firefox - Opera is fine. But I don't like Opera as much as Firefox. It's only Bikeradar that seems to have these issues with Firefox.

I don't know whether other people get it, but I've had issues on both my Laptops, Desktop, work desktop - all Firefox, 50% Vista, 50% XP.
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I have no issues with the forum using Firefox, other than the problem everyone else is having with slow connections.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • redddraggon
    supersonic wrote:

No no, this is been happening for months, nearly since Bikeradar started, I wouldn't imagine it's anything to do with the Servers being overloaded, deleting cookies sorts it all out....

......but I don't want to have keep deleting my cookies every 5mins......(Ok not every 5mins, but daily)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    What version of Firefox is it? There was something that caused similar behaviour in FF2, but it's been fine on FF3.
  • redddraggon
    FF3
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    been fine on FF3 excpet for when the forum hangs and we get the article not found message.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    edited February 2009
    This has been happening to me for months also. No sooner do they fix it then it happens again.
    Tonight I couldn't even get the site to load at all. I rebooted my wireless modem and PC cleared cookies etc . It has taken 1.5 minutes to load every single page here tonight.
    This really is abysmal. Whoever is changing the flash animation on the site needs sacking.
    I don't have the slightest trouble with any other site or forum.
    I have 10 forums on my tabbed browser this is the only site that gives problems.
    This post will take 1-2 minutes to load so I'm not hanging about .
    What a load of ...... :roll:

there now its started working again :roll: pages loading in a split second were taking over 1x minute to load just now. Wish I knew what was causing it.

supersonic wrote:

No no, this is been happening for months, nearly since Bikeradar started, I wouldn't imagine it's anything to do with the Servers being overloaded, deleting cookies sorts it all out....

......but I don't want to have keep deleting my cookies every 5mins......(Ok not every 5mins, but daily)
  • nicklouse
    peanut
    it is not the flash adverts. i have them blocked.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • peanut
    its very strange . I do not understand it. Its the only site with this amount of flash and the only site some of us seem to be having severe problems with.?
    Everything is back to normal now in fact it all cleared up within 3minutes of my post .
    Co-incidence ? :roll:
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I've been having exactly the same problem, also with FF3. It's very frustrating as I don't like having to switch to IE.

Matthew
  • nicklouse
    it is not an FF problem it happens with IE as well

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12600934

I know it is a right royal pain in the butt and we are promised that steps are being taken to resolve it.
  • peanut
    well at least the fault is recognised and not blamed on us and our pc's software etc.
    My pc locked up again Sunday night . I had to completelyu reboot to get anything working again.
    I suspect that this is something to do with Win service packs . I do not install any service packs intentionally and have auto updates switched off. This would not be the first time it has caused problems.
    I cannot use any free antivirus or firewall programs because of the missing service packs. I cannot install anything more recent than Adobe 6 and its the same with lots of other software
    EDIT
    it took 25 seconds to load this message :roll:
  • redddraggon
    A year on I still get the white screen, every couple of days, and that's using a few different computers, on different connections.

I find deleting phpbb2mysql_t lets me access the forum again without needing to log into again. But it's a right PITA
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    no ideas? it's still happening
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    You really have no ideas? I thought this was a professionally coded forum?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • agale
    agale Posts: 5
    Hello,

I'm the Lead Developer for BikeRadar. Sorry you're experiencing problems with logging in. With your help hopefully we can put an end to them.

So far when I've looked at this issue in various browsers it's worked fine for me. As your browser can be configured in so many ways, it would be useful to get a bit of information from you in the hope we can reproduce the problem.

Can those experiencing problems please let me know which exact version of Firefox or whichever browser you are using? Which extensions you have? Which non-standard settings you have?

I doubt it has anything to do with the adverts but maybe it's an ad block setting that we need to work around if you have that installed?

It would also be useful if, the next time this happens, you note the time and date you logged in and then the time and date the site stops working for you. Hopefully that will help us investigate if it's a timeout issue.

Once we get some responses we'll then have another proper look in to it.
  • redddraggon
    It's just happen again now. Err I can't remember the last time I logged in, because I don't normally log out.

13/3/10 1642 It conked out.

I do use ad block plus, and have always been using the latest firefox version, while this problem BR problem has been happening for the last year and a bit.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Not just me tyhen? And I thought it was coz I am Welsh and FFICK!!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I used to have problems last year, but none for a long time now. Well, a very occasional slow to load post or page, but that happens on all sites.
  • redddraggon
    supersonic wrote:
    I used to have problems last year, but none for a long time now. Well, a very occasional slow to load post or page, but that happens on all sites.

My problem is not where the page is slow to load. Any bikeradar.com/forum page refuses to load and just gives me a white screen no matter how long I give it to load.

Deleting myphpbb2_t fixes the issue straight away and the forum then works OK for a few days before jamming on a white screen again.

I've used multiple computer, multiple internet/network connections and multiple versions of firefox and it always seems to happen.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr