GT Transeo 3.0 v

npowell28
npowell28 Posts: 204
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
I am considering doing some off roading starting in the spring. My bike is a GT Transeo 3.0 which has front suspension. For the last year i have been using it as a commuter with skinny tyres on. I am considering getting a proper road bike for my commute to work and putting some chunky tyres on the GT. Will the GT be up to much off road. I don't want to do anything mental just some off road tracks.

Thanks in advance
Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone

Comments

• the transeo is perfect for what you have in mind.

dont put anything too chunky on it tyre wise though, perhaps a 2.1. im not sure what the mud and brake clearance is on that bike, but i dont think it will be much more.
  • not sure what you mean by the tyres 2.1
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • npowell28 wrote:
    not sure what you mean by the tyres 2.1

2.1 denotes the width of the tyre.

the chain and seat stays will determine the size of the tyre you can fit to the bike. if its too big it will rub and be totally inneficient and possibly dangerous. even if it just fits and no more, the slightest buckle will make a huge difference.
  • Gtelio
    Gtelio Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 gt transeo and tried to put on 2.2 mtb off road tires and they were .25 too wide and hit the bottom of the rear arms, would anyone recommend an other tire?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Narrower ones.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd go no wider than 1.95" on a Transeo, it's no mountain bike but it will cope with gravel trails just fine, the front suspension is very basic so don't expect it to feel at home if it gets lumpy at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.