New Bike - What pedals

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my new C2W Viner Gladius but need to spend some cash on some nice (according to budget) pedals. I was intending on getting some 'look' pedals, does anyone have any reccomendations of high quality ones I could go for? Any help would be super. What should I look for? Weight alone?

Oh - Budget = £70 give or take.

Thanks

Ben

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Does it have to be Look? Unless you are going to race, I don't think you can go wrong with Shimano SPD pedals. The PD M540 will only cost around £39 and the M520 (almost as good) only £28 - less if you shop around. They are not heavy and although they are mtb pedals, loads of roadies use them. Not the sexiest around but light, easy to lock in/out and will last for years.
  • Yeah if you are goung to race then the SPD-SL Ultegra would be a good choice and meet your budget. If you are not then Id go for SPD mentioned above as they are easier to use. Only a bit heavier than the shimano SPD-sls.

I have the bottom of the range SPD-SL on my new race bike, and they take a bit of getting used to after using the SPD (harder to get into and out of) but have a better foot-pedal contact(and you can get more bling footwear for them). For commuting I'll definitly be sticking to my SPDs though.
  • The Look Keo Easy pedals could be a good start, specifically designed for beginners and to be 'easy' to get into and only cost around £30.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • dcab
    dcab Posts: 255
    merlin cycles have some offers on pedals at the moment?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I've used Look Keo Classics since I started riding. Great pedals, very comfy and relatively easy to clip in and out.
  • Thanks a lot for all the responses. I liked the look of the Look Keo Classics Nuggs. I will be commuting in them along with weekend club runs. I presume they will be fine for this? How long do the cleats usually last as I have heard they can were down quite quickly? (I will be walking a max of about 300 meters in them per day)
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I wouldn't want to be walking 300 metres in look cleats, to be honest. If walking is a serious consideration, go with mountain bike style shoes & pedals.

I use Time pedals - furthest I ever walk in mine is to/from the garage, or to/from the counter at the cafe - and that's plenty...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I went with M540 spd's on my new bike cos I came to road biking from mtb, and I could use my existing shoes. And I can walk about when I get off the bike. Unlikely to switch to road pedals any time soon.