specialized!!! Sirrus or Allez????

clarkie28
clarkie28 Posts: 134
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
Good evening folks.

Im looking to buy a road bike and i had a butchers at a Specialized Sirrus Elite at my LBS, which has flat bars as i feel i might get along with these better as iam making the switch from a MTB. So, can anyone give any comments on this bike? And is it basically the same set up as a road bike but with flat bars?

Or should i just take the plunge and get a Allez 18?? And comments on this bike please.
I am going to use, which ever bike i buy to get fit with and not really for anything serious like joining a club or racing etc etc.
But i do want a half decent bike thats going to last me!

Thanks for all your help!

Comments

• Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    I guess it depends what its for, but if it's to use as a proper roadie bike then drops, had mine for a month. Its great fun. OS maps suddenly seem really small!
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    I've had a flat bar hybrid thing for a couple of years, and recently bought an Allez - I love the Allez, finding the range of hand positions on its drop bars far more comfortable than the fixed position on the flat bar bike . The only downside I find is that STI levers aren't quite as easy to use as MTB style thumb levers.
  • Don't worry abou the transition to much, you can still ride on the flats with a drop handle bar bike, i (personally) think you'll waste money by trying to edge into road riding, take the plunge, it is really REALLY not that hard, IMHO (i can't express that enough :) )
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Get a test ride of both bikes.

Like many on here I ride both road & mtb. Changing between them is no problem and once you get used to a drop bar road bike, you'll think the mtb is so slow on the road.

A road bike can feel quite 'twitchy' at first and not having nice wide bars can make it feel less controllable. Much of this is getting used to the different characteristics compared to the mtb.

However not everyone gets on with road bikes and (particularly) if you are after a bike to commute on, the Sirrus is a great machine.

So to summarise - Ride 'em
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • As someone else has pointed out, it depends on what you want to use it for. If it's a general purpose beast you want, then the Sirrus would be better. It'll take full mudguards and you'll probably be able to fit a rack and panniers for touring; on the other hand, if you want to go flat out more often than not, get the Allez.

If it's any help, I bought a Ridgeback flat-bar T1 last year, which I love, but I'm also adding an Allez 18 this year.

Lucky me :wink:
  • Get the Allez, I`ve recently changed to road from MTB, you`ll soon get used to the different controls position etc :)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2