Valentines day..What should you do?

jc4lab
jc4lab Posts: 554
edited February 2009 in Campaign
What should you do on Valentines day..Send,Flowers,expensive cards, gifts or is it just the thought that counts?.
jc

Comments

• NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    Valentines is for teenagers who want to tell the boy/girl across the class that they fancy them.

For adults in a relationship it's just a marketing thing that makes people spend out of obligation.

A cheap bunch of flowers is the max.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    NFMC wrote:
    For adults in a relationship it's just a marketing thing that makes people spend out of obligation.

That's what my Missus says. I've never actually had the balls to agree with her and do nothing - there can be a world of difference between what she says and means... Restaurant booked, champers bought etc...
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    NFMC wrote:
    Valentines is for teenagers who want to tell the boy/girl across the class that they fancy them.

A cheap bunch of flowers is the max.
    You are single AICMFP :wink:
  • jc4lab wrote:
    What should you do on Valentines day..Send,Flowers,expensive cards, gifts or is it just the thought that counts?.

Inexpensive bunch of flowers.

I don't need a "special day" to tell my Mrs I love her. I buy her flowers on a very regular basis and treat her with respect. No need for owt else.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Spurs arent playing so she might get lucky :lol: . Truth be told we have only been going out for a few months so I guess it might score a few points for me if I do something :wink:
  • Simple question, simple answer, brand new oober luscious bike, then when she shouts, shout back and spend the rest of your lonely life on your new bike 8)
    (i no longer have a g-friend, but not for this lol)
  • "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871
    Going to the Peaks with the lads........... :)

When I get back I have promised to cook her dinner (rare) & will get some champaigne (not so rare) - might even get some flowers (exceptionally rare)!
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Bought her a nice new carbon seatpost and matching bars a Selle Italia saddle in blue to match her frame and a new set of disc brakes, I spoil her rotten.

As for the mrs.......... :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • I'm in the don't do Valentines day camp - i'd much rather the boy was nice all the time (which he is).
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Bond with your other half by making fun of all the smug couples as you walk past all the restaurant windows.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Kenjaja1
    Kenjaja1 Posts: 744
    I probably won't do much but I'd be happy to let her buy me a nice new Brooks saddle for my tourer :D
    Well, I can dream can't I? :?
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    As it's me and Mrs EMD 10th Valentines together. We're going to our favourite pub in Chiswick (The Raven) to get trashed!!!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Mrs Pneumatic is going home to her parents for the evening! I get to look after the teenaged pneumatics.

Mind you, we have been together for 23 years.

Many years ago, a colleague of mine (female, blond, thin, fit, 6 foot, early twenties) got a dozen red roses from her boyfriend. He had them delivered to the office. She then spent the morning on the phone, first to him, telling him the flowers were manky and he had wasted his money on them and then to the florist telling them their flowers were manky and ordering them to give him his money back. :lol: :shock:

Since then, my fear of women and suspicion of florists have repressed any spontaneous urges to observe Valentines Day in the stereotypical way.

Or maybe I'm just a tight git. :oops:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    NFMC wrote:

That's what my Missus says. I've never actually had the balls to agree with her and do nothing - there can be a world of difference between what she says and means... Restaurant booked, champers bought etc...

I called her bluff one year, no card, no flowers, no champers, no meal, nothing.............what a stupid mistake that was :shock:

A bunch of flowers and a card, keep the peace :wink:

Shane
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Got 'She who must be obeyed' card & pressie. I will be cooking a meal(paella, her favorite) and then pi@*ing off to work so any 'romantics' will have to wait. Still 20 years together must mean we're doing something right.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    EMD, I'll be in Chiswick tomorrow night, so if I see any amorous couples I'll shout "Eat My Dust!" at them and see if any don't look completely baffled :)

Me and the gf - and it's our first VD together - are going bowling with four other couples who don't think VD should be that big a deal. Can't wait!
  • Kenjaja1
    Kenjaja1 Posts: 744
    pneumatic wrote:

Since then, my fear of women and suspicion of florists have repressed any spontaneous urges to observe Valentines Day in the stereotypical way

Just for the record the rip-off price of manky roses is not down to the Florists. Valentines day is celebrated all over the World and roses are the thing to give on the day. Consequently the demand for red roses outstrips supply by a massive amount and the price goes through the roof (at auction, at wholesale and therefore retail) . Growers, in an attempt to cash in on the event try very hard to produce as many red roses as possible for the occasion and one of the techniques is to cut the flowers early (up to two weeks!) and keep them in cold rooms until they are air freighted to the auctions in Holland or their other destination. By the time they reach the end customer they will have been kept cold for far too long and been flown half way around the world. Once they come out of the cold and into a normal temperature they will a) not open and /or b) go mouldy (due to botrytis). The florists and wholesalers cannot always easily spot the problem in time as the rose buts may appear perfectly OK.

The answer is to avoid red roses as welll as other red flowers which are becoming the alternative these days (but have exactly the same problem).

Other big floral occasions are not hit with the same level of problems. At Christmas and on Mothers' Day people will buy any cut flowers which look good. Also Mothers Day has a different date in differnt countries - so the problem is much less pronounced.

At the end of the day the Florist does have a legal responsibility and if the flowers are not up to standard then they have to refund the cost.