Free Boonen

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2009 in Pro race
He's not going to face criminal charges for his coke issue last year.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• I thought he had been put in the slammer and you were appealing for his release :D
    6288 Posts: 131
    Where's the ban?

Ullrich took his punishment ...

Seems to me cycling knows they need Boonen ...
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Ban for what? He hasn't failed any doping tests has he?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, he tested positive for cocaine. But in an out of competition test. The court case news this morning concerned criminal procedures, not sporting ones.
  • MrChuck wrote:

Yes, he failed an out of competition test on 26th May 2008, but because it was an out of competition test he faced no sanctions from the UCI or WADA.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    If it had been an OOC test within 72 hours of a race though he would have been sanctioned.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    MrChuck wrote:

Yes, he failed an out of competition test on 26th May 2008, but because it was an out of competition test he faced no sanctions from the UCI or WADA.

Well, that's what I meant really- he hasn't done anything that's would result in a ban under the rules of the governing bodies so why should he be banned? Nobody's suggesting he's cheating at anything are they?

I don't really see what his coke conviction has to do with his cycling at all TBH, although I suppose you could say maybe he should be setting an example and all the rest of it.
  • If it had been an OOC test within 72 hours of a race though he would have been sanctioned.

It was 3 days before the Tour of Belgium started (28th May) and Boonen won the final stage.

Also in 2003 didn't Ullrich get a 6 month ban for taking Amphetamine and Ecstasy OOC. Was it because the sanction was handed down by the German Federation rather than the UCI/WADA and in the Boonen case the Belgium Federation decided not to sanction him and the UCI similarly decided not to pursue it?.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Also in 2003 didn't Ullrich get a 6 month ban for taking Amphetamine and Ecstasy OOC. Was it because the sanction was handed down by the German Federation rather than the UCI/WADA and in the Boonen case the Belgium Federation decided not to sanction him and the UCI similarly decided not to pursue it?.

If Ullrich had done the same thing in 2008 it wouldn't have been considered an offense.

The rules changed at some point
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.