Garmin 605 or 705???

jards666
jards666 Posts: 18
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
can anyone point out the differences between these two? i saw a 605 on some website for £175 just interested to know opinions on both of them ie pros and cons for both
cheers :wink:

Comments

• From another site:

The Garmin Edge 605 does NOT have the capability to support HEART RATE or PEDAL CADENCE. It is NOT an optional add on. Also, the Garmin Edge 705 has a BAROMETRIC pressure sensor giving more accurate altitude variation during climbs and ascents. The Garmin Edge 605 relies on GPS for it's altitude data.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    Jards666

I went through the 605 or 705 thing last year and in the end opted for the 605, as I had a Polar HR/cadence monitor already, so why spend more on something I already have, yes..........NO :? THINK, if you do not get the 705 package and decide later that you want to record HR/Cadence you may end up with 2 methods of recording different ride/body data and having to use 2 programmes to view this on, and that is REALLY annoying as I am finding out now. I should have opted for the 705 and sold my Polar monitor......oh well, live and learn! Oh by the way, as a GPS unit the 605 is great, load a ride and follow the directions, only problem is you tend to spend all the time at the front with others following!!!!

Shane

PS £175.00 is a very good price but check if it comes with maps (on CD or Micro SD Card) the Base map that is pre-loaded is as useful as a chocolate fire guard.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    The cool thing with the 705 with the HR monitor is that you can view your ride in GoogleEarth and see the exact point on a hill where your heart waves a little white flag and gives up the ghost. :oops:

Seriously though, the 705 is the best bit of kit I've got in ages. My missus got if for my birthday completely unprompted and when I first opened it I though "Hmmm, looks a bit too techy for my liking - who needs a bike satnav etc" but in reality I've loved planning new routes to uncharted areas (for me) and then following them. Really gets you off the beaten track and makes following long MTB cross-country bridleway jaunts a cinch.

She got me the basic version without maps, but I've just got the Europe Navigator NT DVD for £80 direct from Garmin which adds a whole new dimension to the navigation aspect of it.
  • Here's one of my first rides with the Garmin 705 so you can see the data that you can get.

I need a damn power meter now!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/1956690
  • Bronzie
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    That's another difference between the 605 & 705 - the 705 can be linked to a PowerTap rear hub to give you power data from your rides - this turns it into a serious training tool IMO and I'm hoping to go down this route soon.
  • Bronzie wrote:
    The cool thing with the 705 with the HR monitor is that you can view your ride in GoogleEarth and see the exact point on a hill where your heart waves a little white flag and gives up the ghost. :oops:

Seriously though, the 705 is the best bit of kit I've got in ages. My missus got if for my birthday completely unprompted and when I first opened it I though "Hmmm, looks a bit too techy for my liking - who needs a bike satnav etc" but in reality I've loved planning new routes to uncharted areas (for me) and then following them. Really gets you off the beaten track and makes following long MTB cross-country bridleway jaunts a cinch.

She got me the basic version without maps, but I've just got the Europe Navigator NT DVD for £80 direct from Garmin which adds a whole new dimension to the navigation aspect of it.
    Which software did you use for offroad rides?
  • Bronzie wrote:
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    That's another difference between the 605 & 705 - the 705 can be linked to a PowerTap rear hub to give you power data from your rides - this turns it into a serious training tool IMO and I'm hoping to go down this route soon.

Or a SRM if you are feeling flush with cash!
  • Bronzie
    Old Tuggo wrote:
    www.bikeroutetoaster.com - switched to "Satellite View" and used in conjunction with an OS map - you can normally follow bridleways on the ground from the aerial photo (PS need to switch auto-routing off each time you go off-road when plotting your route).

Very fiddly and slow though, but I've since discovered...............
    www.bikehike.co.uk
    which has an OS map view in the top right corner so you can follow the bridleways a lot easier.
  • Bronzie wrote:
    Old Tuggo wrote:
    www.bikeroutetoaster.com - switched to "Satellite View" and used in conjunction with an OS map - you can normally follow bridleways on the ground from the aerial photo (PS need to switch auto-routing off each time you go off-road when plotting your route).

Very fiddly and slow though, but I've since discovered...............
    www.bikehike.co.uk
    which has an OS map view in the top right corner so you can follow the bridleways a lot easier.
    Thanks a lot Bronzie, I must try it.