What Bike???

DanielleT
DanielleT Posts: 259
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
I've just come back to mtb riding after a good few years off!! When I was first into it I wasn't very clued up and bought an 21 inch GT Tempest (about 6-7 years ago) that is huge!!!! (i'm only 5'6)
I'm looking for a new bike, just for general off roading (just started popping upto dalby forest) that I can throw around the red routes (no where near skilled enough yet for black!).
I've got around a budget of £500, and I prefer hardtails. I have been looking at the GT avalanche 1.0 and the Kona Cinder Cone, just wondered what people thought of these and are there any other good bikes for this price?

Cheers! :D
delightfully dangerous!

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited February 2009
    OK who sold you a 21" Tempest ? Name and shame them :lol:

TBH at a given price point, there are no winners or losers. Bikes are specced very competitively and the decision mostly depends on what colour you prefer. The bikes you've mentioned are perfectly OK but how about something like a Commecal Absolut or a Spesh P1/P2 ? The Scott Contessa is a very good laydeez bike*

BTW welcome to the forum

* so I'm told
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited February 2009
    Stock answer: Carrera Fury or Merlin Malt 1 Deore. Of the two, I'd be looking at the Fury, it's got the better trail centre spec IMO. Longer forks and slacker angles = greater margin for screwing up 8) Malt's probably the better XC bike. Both ace though, superb value for money. The Avalanche and Kona are both decent bikes, but too expensive.

<edit- Supersonic just pointed out, the GT's better than I thought, I'd misread the forks and thought they were just bargain-basement XCMs not X-100s. I'd still go for the Carrera or Malt but the Avalanche has to be a contender too>
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Both good bikes, the GT in particular gets good write-ups.

If anything, the Kona's tend to be a bit under-specced for the money but should give you any problems.

Also, have a look at www.paulscycles.co.uk - there's some fantastic bargains to be had there, especially if you can live with a 2008 or even 2007 model bike.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I would take that Merlin Malt 1 in 16.5".

But I like the look of the Commencal more. :)
  • Welcome to the Forum.

David
  • just picked up a gt avalanche 1.0 08 for 400 quid.... my advice is get one, its excellent.
    The New Guy