ARGH!!!! - Which one?????????

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
Fairly older bikes but could be bought for good price.

In the red corner Specialized Allez 2003 with this spec

Double-butted A1 premium aluminum Specialized frame with replaceable derailleur hanger and hidden rack mounts.
Shimano Tiagra/Sora 16-speed component group.
Alex DA-16 machined sidewall rims with DT spokes.
Specialized high performance 28/32 hole sealed hubs with alloy QR's.
Specialized Pro 700 x 23c Turbo Sport Tires.
Specialized Body Geometry Comp Saddle.

In the blue corner Dawes Giro 400 with this spec

Alloy Frame
Shimano Sora 8 speed STI Gear Shifters
Shimano Ultegra 8/9 speed rear mech
Shimano Sora front mech
Rigida Nova Rims on Shimano Sora hubs
Tektro Dual Pivot Brakes

Sooooo confused :? :? :?

Comments

• Whichever rides better for you, but i'd say the dawes, the wheels on the spec are made of cheese (particularly the hubs)
  • I have a Dawes Giro 500 which is my 2nd bike and I use it for training.

Whilst the name is not a trendy as some, the spec you get is sound and it is a good bike for getting into the sport.
  • I have a Dawes Giro 400 which I bought in 1999. Its had a new back wheel since then otherwise, apart from brake blocks/chains/tyres, its still going strong.
    I have just put it out to grass in the turbo :( , as its been replaced by a single-speed. :D
    I'd have no hesitation in having another, 'specially if it's cheap...
    Briliant cheap road riding.
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    If they are both a similar price then I'm going to go against the suggestions so far and vote for the Specialized. Too many people buy bikes these days based on the spec of the groupset. The frame and wheels are what matters. People see Ultegra mentioned in the spec and get all excited. The Dawes is still a very very basic frame. It's nice (I had one), but I'd have swapped it for an Allez frame any day of the week.

The Rigida wheels on the Dawes aren't that much better than the Alex on the Specialized either and will be something you'll no doubt want to upgrade at some point anyway. And there's no way an Ultegra rear mech makes up for the fact that the Dawes still has Sora shifters. There's no performance benefit to be had there.

The Allez is a much better frame and the heart of any bike is the frame and wheels. Everything else is just there to make it move, point it in the right direction and give you somewhere to put your bum. You'd be much better starting off on something worth upgrading. I rode a £700 carbon frame shod with Tiagra for a few years and I doubt I've have got anything as much fun had I gone for a cheaper frame and better groupset.