Are there any good value bikes out there that aren't TINY!?

Phil92
Phil92 Posts: 22
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
I was browsing around Wiggle and found the Focus Variado Expert 2008, an Ultegra equiped bike for only £616.57, in Extra-Small...

I also saw the Giant SCR 1.5, a Tiagra equiped bike for just £477! Again, the only size left is Small...

Personally I am looking for similar, decent bikes like these which will last me a good while and have good parts...

Currently I'm riding a flat bar Scott Speedster. It's fun, and I'm thinking of converting it to drops but the task seems VERY daunting. However it does make a brilliant commuter bike, but I'm looking for a bike to ride in the evenings/weekend.

If anyone knows of any decently equipped bikes out there whether last year's model etc please post! I would appreciate it greatly!

Thanks!
Phil
Scott Speedster FB - the commuter

BeOne Storm 2.0 - the unused summer bike :(

Comments

• Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Couple of possibilities:

Giant Defy 3 - £538 - Triple

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Defy-3-20 ... _20150.htm

Giant Defy 2.5 - £620 - Triple

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Defy-2.5- ... _20149.htm

Giant Defy 2 - £709 - Compact

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Defy-2-20 ... _20148.htm

I wouldn't be overly bothered whether your bike has got Ultegra or Tiagra (if you're new to Road bikes) - aslong as its got a suitable chainset type (ie double/compact/triple) for the riding you want to do (and fitness level) - also , you get a much bigger performance increase from a decent set of wheels and tyres.
  • http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... _langId_-1

There are some nice discounts on the 2008 Boardman range, on both the pure road bikes and the urban hybrids, which are well worth a look...

I read on the forums last night that may well be a sale starting on the 3rd, but no idea if there is any truth in that.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mba007
    mba007 Posts: 95
    Phil92 wrote:
    I also saw the Giant SCR 1.5, a Tiagra equiped bike for just £477! Again, the only size left is Small...

When I ordered a large SCR1.5 from Wiggle 10 days ago Wiggle had ten large in stock. Over the course of 8 days I watched the number gradually drop to zero large. This enabled smug-mode to be applied to my girlfriend!

The SCR1's are still available, and have dropped in price from £666 to £624 in the last couple of days. They also come with £50 of any accessories you like.
  • Phil92
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm having a tough time of deciding what to get!

I could get an SCR 1. That's probably my best choice at the £600. Either that or a boardman bike.

Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge but what is double/compact/tripple? I know my brakes on my current bike are Tripple but I doubt that's the same thing...

I was also looking on Ebay (:o). As it stands I could get a Dura Ace Felt or similar bike off there for around £600! I doubt that would be any good for me as a first bike and quality is always an issue when buying anything second hand.

Anyway, cheers!
    Phil

• ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Merlin malt

easy :)
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Phil92 wrote:

Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge but what is double/compact/tripple? I know my brakes on my current bike are Tripple but I doubt that's the same thing...

This is in regard to the front chain rings (chainset), Double (ie. two rings) often 53 (teeth) big ring 39 small, normally used for general riding flatish terrain, Compact, this also has two rings often 50/34 this is also for general riding but also has lower gear options for hill use, the Compact double is closer to a Triple (which guess what) has 3 front rings often 50/39/30 which has the most gearing options, both high and low. Triples are a bit more troublesome to set up correctly.

Triples are sneered at by most hard-core riders, you wont find a pro riding with one........

I have a compact 50/34 with a 12/27 rear cassette which pretty much gives me the same low end as a triple but without the stigma :wink:
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Phil92 wrote:
    Phil

Flasher's detailed this - if you're new to Road bikes, personally I'd get a Compact or Triple - many people buy Doubles, then end up on BikeRadar asking how to change it to a Compact or Triple. Might aswell start off on the right foot? (I currently use a Compact).
  • Phil92
    Thanks for the help guys! You've all been great in helping me decide!

I have had a breakthrough!
    BeOne Storm 2.0 - Full Tiagra set up for just £399! Unless you have any serious cons then I think this could be a winner! Looks the part too!

Just an extra note, my current frame is 56cm and considered Large by Scott's standard. However I have read different bike manufacturers all do it differently so does anyone know if BeOne has any odd measurements etc? If there is a BeOne owner out there, I am 5ft 10 :)

Thanks again so much!