Propstands for a Carrera Subway

grodge08
grodge08 Posts: 9
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Hello.

Please can someone advise me as to a propstand that can be attached to a Carrera Subway
which has a sideways facing hole in which to insert the bolt and not downwards as on most bikes - what is the best one to get?

For the life of me I can't find a suitable one anywhere ...

Help!

Am tired now of the bike tipping over if there's any sort of wind which defeats my best efforts to balance it correctly against something to keep it upright and safe from scratches and worse etc.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,947
    edited February 2009
    Hi there,

sorry not to be a major help, but my own Subway one was bought 2nd hand, and the original owner had had the rack and prop stand fitted by Halfords, and very useful it is too.

Which makes me think if you go in there they might well have someting suitable.....?

Either that or try your LBS, they are almost certain to know.

Other places that might be of use is the CTC forum, they have lots of propstand people on there, and I have seen it crop up more than once ;-)

If I remember i will pop out to the garage tomorrow and see if there is any name on mine, but I don't recall one.

I seem to remember that I had to remove my stand to fit my mudguards, and the way it fitted was by bolting a plate to tighten it down by the bottom bracket, so it doesn't actually utilise any holes on the bike, just the clamping action - if that makes sense...

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    If you mean the rearward facing hole on the chainstay bridge that is probably meant for a mudguard, though may take propstands too.

Saint John Street Cycles have a large range of propstands - even if there isn't one to fit your particular reuirements, I am sure there are still several designs that could fit by some means or other.
  • cheers guys that's dead useful info.
  • sassis
    sassis Posts: 1
    Hello Folks,

The prop stand you need for the Carrera Subway mountain bike (the one stocked by Halfords at the moment) is the Bontrager Rear-mounted kickstand. Available from many bike shops or the internet. Its priced around ten pounds and comes in black. Conventional stands mounted behind the pedal axle do not appear to fit due to the gear cable, but the rear-mounted stand got around that problem. I have also tried both the Raleigh MTB and Pletscher rear-mounted stands but found they didnt fit due to either/or the square cross-section of the bike frame, the disc brakes or other frame features. I finally found the Bontrager product and was glad to find it fitted firmly and looked comparatively good and sturdy. Now I can ride my bike to Costa Coffee and know that it is propped up safely outside and wont fall over beside the glass window I was leaning it up against before yaaay!!

Took a bit of effort to find a stand for this bike so I thought I would write and save anyone else the troubles I had!

Cheers and safe biking!!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Wow Sassis! Welcome! First post and comprehensive and useful. We like.

And Grodge08, welcome too!

(what was so bad about '08? Apart from the start of the, ah, OK)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.