Free Bikes In Liverpool

seataltea
seataltea Posts: 594
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
That's right, can't imagine they'd be much good but free non the less and they might be ok for beginners.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liv ... -22806591/

http://www.letstravelwise.org/cycling/f ... rpool.html
'nulla tenaci invia est via'
FCN4
Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
CUBE Peleton 2012
Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter

Comments

• i'd like to see these bikes.

ive seen similar initiatives proposed before but the bikes they had planned to give away were actually worse than having no bike at all.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    +1

Hopefully they will have gone for no nonsense fully rigid hybrids. Why are only certain postcodes where bike ownership is low being included, shouldn't it be open to everyone across Liverpool? Maybe even to people who already have bikes. There's a surprising number of people with high end bikes that ride at the weekend but wouldn't dream of taking their expensive steed into a town centre (for obvious reasons), maybe the offer of a free runaround would be more likely to tempt people like that who already ride into commuting than people.

At first glance it smacks of some really good intentions getting tripped up by left wing social engineering do gooders, but lets hope I'm wrong (has been known :roll: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I wish they'd just lower the tax a bit for everyone, the current situation where people either get a huge saving via cycle to work or none at all is rubbish. I'm sure it'd cost less than these half arsed schemes and get more bikes on the road.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Toasty wrote:
    I wish they'd just lower the tax a bit for everyone, the current situation where people either get a huge saving via cycle to work or none at all is rubbish. I'm sure it'd cost less than these half arsed schemes and get more bikes on the road.

Absolutely agree with that, typical of this government, do everything the half arsed easy way (i.e. let someonelse do it) and make a big fuss in the media about what they're doing. It couldn't have been that difficult to set up a voucher scheme run by the tax man rather than your employer, that way everyone could have benefitted.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I'm in Liverpool but not on the postcode list, why not?

I've emailed them....
  • Cycle to 'work' is rubbish, for starters you have to be at work, just the kind of people who can afford it geet the help! I've just gone back to university after 20 years at work, using my own savings, there's no way I can benefit from cycle to work, but my car causes just as much pollution driving 12 miles to work as somebody earning £50 000 a year, my wife does work part time in a school but earns so little she doesn't even pay tax and so, you guessed it, can't get any help with cycle to work, despite the council heavily promoting it to their employees!!! Mad, what about just taking the VAT off bikes??

Ragged
    Gawton Gravity Hub - "England's best permanent downhill tracks"

www.gawtongravityhub.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/gawtongravityhub
  • Aren't bikes free in Liverpool anyway, just pick one you fancy locked to a bike rack and take it ;);) ....
    Gawton Gravity Hub - "England's best permanent downhill tracks"

www.gawtongravityhub.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/gawtongravityhub
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    ragged1100 wrote:
    Aren't bikes free in Liverpool anyway, just pick one you fancy locked to a bike rack and take it ;);) ....

Thats how I got my bike in cardiff :lol:

I hate those little cocharoaches? I think thats how you spell it.

They should offer people a scheme that they can have a cycle to work type thing for everyone, Yes I know some people might take advantage, but it can maybe go off your council tax or something, and only one bike per 5 years or something.

I think that would work well.