Please help settle my arguement!

landranger
landranger Posts: 220
edited February 2009 in MTB general
I need help here, I don't think my delecate hands can take any hand washing :wink:
Sink the eight ball. Buy the lady a drink. And nobody knows my name.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well it might.

suggest that you have a shower with them on first to get ride of the worst.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    depend how dirty. like nicola says, wash the worst off first of youre caked in mud.

remember too that in that mud there will be grit, sand and oil. and worse besides. not somethingn you want to put in your machine.

so no, she's not mental (anymore than the average woman) but she's not entirely wrong either.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If I'm properly muddy, I hose my bike down first then I hose myself :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bloody hell people!!

its a washing machine!! the clue is in the name :D
  • our machine has a sports program :)
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Nero50
    Nero50 Posts: 47
    im with pete!
    Isnt that what "washing" machines are for??? :shock:

Im a girl, i like bikes. and mud, i put muddy stuff in the washer, it still works. Like the sound of a sports programme, is that to watch whilst you wait?
    Zesty is here!
  • same as northwind.... hose bike of and then the worst off myself... neighbours give me a few strange looks.... hose at front of house, walk into the garage get changed. the way I look at it is if the washing machine breaks its going to cost me at least half towards a new one.
    On another note, has anyone tried the more expenive, read rediculously expensive technical washes... clothes just did not clean up to good, sticking to non bio exept for my gortex jacket methinks
  • Nero50
    Nero50 Posts: 47
    non bio regardless, enzymes in bio eat/ruin clothes :x
    Zesty is here!
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    I think the ansewrs in the discription...after all, what does a toaster do?

Tell your wife to get dirty herself...she may enjoy it...;)
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Sorry dude, but I wouldn't chance it.

If our washing machine went tits up because I kept clogging it up with mud, it would only empty my pockets, so like most others, I get hosed down or my clothes get showered off before they go in the washer.
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    Baffle her with science. Ask her to specify exactly which part of the drum, motor, pipe in and pipe out the mud is going to damage :D
  • You allow your wife to have an opinion!?

At what point did you realise that was a bad idea?
  • You allow your wife to have an opinion!?

At what point did you realise that was a bad idea?

I like it, I like it . . . :lol:

But no one's ever bust their machine then?
    It's an old wives tale I tell her. No one I know has actually bust their machine washing muddy clothes. Do rugby players and footballers buy new kit after every game? NO, they was them in a washing machine. Even if it's an industrial one, it'll still have the same parts doing the same job!

To hell with it, keep putting them in woman - and get me a beer . . . . :shock:
    Sink the eight ball. Buy the lady a drink. And nobody knows my name.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Wash it, just don't turn your wet socks inside out when you're awkwardly taking them off. They're like those little washing tablet bags, but full of mud and grit, genius. Soil quite often survives a full cycle in our washing machine bizarrely.
  • be a man and wash your own bloody clothes
    m-trax ti 1000- back when i was rubbish.
    evo 8 - i am continuing to be rubbish.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'd rinse the worst off in the sink. Excess mud will block filters and hang around in the drum. If you wash the excess off the machine has a better chance of getting the clothes properly clean anyway.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Never had a problem, my Mrs also sticks her casual clothes in the washing machine with my muddy gear. It is as previously mentioned a washing machine.
    :lol:
  • Wash the worst off outside mate..... I've just unblocked our shower cos of it. The shower is on an internal wall so the waste pipe is pretty long and not particularly sloped. I noticed the shower draining slower and slower and when I've inspected the waste pipe it's half full of sand!

Must be sandy mud near me and seeing as it's dense, settles and collects in the pipes.... either that or my little girl has been shovelling it out her sand pit!
  • our machine has a sports program :)

a stupid question but what is the difference beetween a normal program and a sports program
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • kingderham wrote:
    our machine has a sports program :)

a stupid question but what is the difference beetween a normal program and a sports program

it goes faster and comes with sponsorhip.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    My wife makes me rinse the dishes before putting them in the DISHWASHER.
    She has some strange reason that my, obviously small, MAN mind, can't possibly
    fathom.

Dennis Noward
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Suppose this depends a bit on what sort of mud. If you're covered in heavy clay or gritty trail centre mud, that's not good stuff to have in your plumbing. Same goes for washing in the sink or shower for that matter, in my house it all goes into the same drain pipe.
    kingderham wrote:

Doping, mainly.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    You;ve phrased the poll wrong, its all too easy to press the 'wife talking rubbish' option, as always in life :wink:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I use the hose to get the worst off while I'm washing the bike ,gets a bit chilly this time of year but its very refreshing in the summer ! :)
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    I usually just throw mine in the washing machine when the other half isn't watching.
    I made the mistake of hosing down my bike and then telling the girlfriend that I was "just gonna chuck the clothes in like this". I promply had the hose turned on me. I complained the water was freezing and she turned on the hot and tried to boil me alive!

Just don't tell her - this might mean you have to learn how to use a washing machine though - my advice - press all the buttons and turn all the knobs - if all the lights are flashing then it's cleaning better.

(P.S. never let the other half near your hose unless you know what she's gonna do with it)
    Not really active
  • JimmerG
    JimmerG Posts: 143
    We (I say 'we' but I think we know its not true) wash hideously dirty reusable nappies in our washing machine... at least 3 times week for the last few years - and its absolutely fine.
  • 5xcr
    5xcr Posts: 195
    Exactly JimmerG, washing machines are made to wash clothes even heaverly soiled ones,Just like a dishwasher is made to wash dishes. They rince more than once so will wash away mud e.t.c with ease. Women love to find fault in men, like in my case how to open/close curtains!. thank god for muddy mb rides!!!!

5xcr Do it when she aint there,like most things :oops:
    12hr days 5 days a week riding to work and back and still the energy to ride 2 other days
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    How did she manage to escape from the kitchen in the first place?

Seriously though, if you're REALLY mucky, rinse your gear off in a bucket to get the heavy off, then just chuck 'em in the washer.

30°, non bio, bish bash wallop jobs a good 'un.

That said, make sure that you can put things in the washer - some things should only be hand washed.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Seems obvious to me - washing machines have seals and bearings, carry heavy loads and revolve at high speeds. Sound familiar? Now, will bike bearings last longer riding for extended periods off road or in relatively clean conditions?

Bottom line, washing machines can handle it, better ones will last longer cos they've got better parts, but they will all last longer if the stress and potnetial wear and tear is rminimised.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision