My bike has developed UCS

Banned!
Banned! Posts: 34
edited February 2009 in MTB general
Unidentifiable Creak Syndrome

Ive just given her a good and thorough wash and lube but the creak is still there. After exhaustive testing I have narrowed it down to being 'somewhere on the bike'

is this the most fekkin annoying thing ever?

Comments

• dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    bet it's the headset top cap on the stem clicking/creaking, that's where mine starts twice a year. clean regrease sorted. good luck with the hunt :)
  • Banned!
    yeah, I had thought it might be coming from the front end. I'll go strip and grease the HS now.
  • Banned!
    dunker, you are a genius!

as soon as I loosened the top cap I heard the creak. it was very very loose, but i have greased and tightened all the bolts and the creak has gone.

thank you.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    That was quick, most creaks take months to track down and involve stripping the bike completely (and a few visits to the shrink to cope with the trauma).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I have no doubt that the bike was just testing me and will develope a new and tricker creak within the next month or so.

my orange had a horrible creak and i stripped the bike about 50 times looking for it but couldnt find it anywhere. even when I replaced the entire drive train and bought a new shock it was still there. it almost drove me insane. then I found it. I couldnt believe it. I was dumbfounded.

the gear cable outer had stiffened (it was on old one) and creaked whenever it bent beond a certain limit.

all that time, effort and money and it was a f**king gear cable.
  • stumpyjon
    :roll: :lol:

I had a funny ticking noise on my full suss that only happend at certain speeds and seemed to be pedal related. Took months to track down. Turned out to be the excess gear cable from the front mech was catching the crank arm, only did it when the mech was positionned for the middle ring :oops: .

• got a better one.

one day out on the trails I heard a uniform click click click sound. i stopped and it stopped. I started it started. i thought it was the brakes, so i checked.

nope.

loose bolts on chainrings?

nope

pedal bearings?

nope

ah, wheel bearings then.

nope.

I went through every single thing I could think of that was bearing or drive related, anything that would make that uniform click sound. but i had no luck at all.

in sheer exasperation i grabbed the front wheel and gave it an almighty spin (the bike was upside down) THERE IT WAS AGAIN!!!!

500 points if you guessed it right.

a small stone had stuck in between the nobbles on the inside my front tyre and was hitting off the forks as it went round. click, click, CLICK!
  • stumpyjon
    Alright if we're going to get into a pissing contest :lol:

the weirdest thing I've had happen was the first time I went riding with Dave_Hill from on hear. Front mech just stopped working, shifter clciked up and down but no gear changes.

It wasn't particularly muddy or anything but somehow a small round stone had flicked up and got wedged solid in the mech cage and had stopped it moving. I swear if I'd have tried to put the stone in there I couldn't have got it to stick like it did.

Most embarrasing (I'd already nearly fallen off in the car park because I'd put new cleats on my boots but still had the clip tension wound right up to keep my old worn cleats in place.)