Changes to the layout poll

2»

Comments

• John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    As a complete technophobe just keep it simple , I quite like things as they are but can see what you are trying to do and it all sounds good, as long as I can still find things.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    The proposal makes perfect sense and will make the forum a much better one for regulars and new posters looking for help.
  • Generally it's an improvement but I'd be strongly in favour of keeping Sportives seperate as it is now a type of 'competitive' event that doesn't fit into 'amateur race' - they aren't races and it doesn't 'feel' right in amateur race - but isn't some nebulous 'riding'. What I would do is call it 'Challenge Riding' so it can include sportives, audax, charity rides etc.

I'd keep 'know how' in one place too.

I agree.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    To add to my comment - there is a definite need to sepaerate Road Gear and Knowhow into maintenance and buying advice topics. The maintenance topic in Commuting should be chopped once this is done, so the useful wrenching threads are all in one place and not duplictaed.

The mountainbike workshop topic could arguably stay as there is a lot of MTB-specific stuff i..e suspension and brakes, which have little crossover to road stuff.

I don't read campaign or soapbox, dure to the high propellerhead density, but as long as they have somewhere to argue amongst themselves that's not cakestop I don't mind.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    The idea behind the Commuting Workshop section is that the Road section has a relatively high level of assumed knowledge, that people who don't ride as a hobby may not have. The Commuting workshop is more for those people who would have "A strange clicky noise from that bit that the pedals are on" rather than an "Intermittent tick from r/h BB cup on Shimano 105".
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    My thrupence...

> Get rid of the aged stickies.
    > Leave Sportive in the title (it was added to stop sportivre posts being split between 'Road Rides' & 'Racing'.
    > Merge Cycling+ Office, Procycling Office & Triathlon+ into one. Maybe call it 'Cycling+, Procycling & Triathlon+ Office. They only get a douzen posts a month, no need for a separate for each.
    Rich
  • leighz
    leighz Posts: 175
    simplify it....

a lot

eg.

FAQs
    Beginners
    Racing
    Cake Stop
    Technical
    C+/Procycling Office (whatever that is)
    Classifieds
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Needs a 'time trial' section which is NOT the same as triathlon, which we all know includes running and swiiming.

The other TT forums / fora aren't so good, there's a real gap that bikeradar could fill here. Hmmm I suppose it could fit into 'amateur racing' though.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Chuck Triathlete out of road, give it its own section like MTB has, or do a combined "Our Magazines" sub forum.
    Trim all these stickies.
    How about a specific forum , "LA Doping Threads"? :wink:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Eddy S wrote:
    And why has Track got it's own Board?
    For exactly the same reason why folks have been asking for an amateur road race section.

Track should have a seperate board as it is a sepearte discipline, just like MTB, BMX etc, but I never understood why it's in the Road section. Many I know at the track sessions don't even own a road bike, or any other kind of bike and never ride on the road, or anywhere else outdoors, at all.

Track should not necessarily be in a "Race" section either though, because most people at the track training sessions I go to don't race on the track. I have never raced on road or track and I didn't take up track cycling in order to race either (although as it happens, I am going to give it a go soon). If the Track board had been in the Race section I probably wouldn't have seen it.
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    Blonde wrote:
    Eddy S wrote:
    And why has Track got it's own Board?
    For exactly the same reason why folks have been asking for an amateur road race section.

Track should have a seperate board as it is a sepearte discipline, just like MTB, BMX etc, but I never understood why it's in the Road section. Many I know at the track sessions don't even own a road bike, or any other kind of bike and never ride on the road, or anywhere else outdoors, at all.

Track should not necessarily be in a "Race" section either though, because most people at the track training sessions I go to don't race on the track. I have never raced on road or track and I didn't take up track cycling in order to race either (although as it happens, I am going to give it a go soon). If the Track board had been in the Race section I probably wouldn't have seen it.

I agree.

The whole forum needs to be simpler and easier to navigate. Can't we have a menu at the side of the page like this:

BIKERADAR OFFICE
    BikeRadar Live
    Discuss website
    FAQs
    CAKE STOP
    COMMUTING

Commuting General
    The Workshop
    FAMILY & KIDS
    Family & Kids General
    HEALTH, FITNESS & TRAINING
    MOUNTAIN BIKE

FAQs
    The MBUK Office
    The WMB Office
    MTB Beginners
    MTB Buying Advice
    MTB General
    MTB Workshop & Tech
    MTB Rides
    Cross-country
    Downhill
    Freeride
    Jumping
    Street
    Trials
    Racing
    Routes
    Women
    The WMB Arms
    ROAD
    FAQs
    Cycling Plus Office
    Procycling Office
    Race
    Beginners
    Gear & Know-how
    Sportives & Rides
    Tour & Expedition
    Special Interests
    SOAPBOX & CAMPAIGN
    TRACK
    TRIATHLON

Triathlon Plus
    READERS' ADS

And you need to get some faster servers too.

:D
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    I think the changes suggested are good, especially the buying guide / workshop split, but I don't think they go far enough. My suggestions are (sorry for repeats, please treat as +1s :wink: ):

Merge all the magazine forums into one top level category called something like "magazine offices", with sub categories for each mag - if you really need the extra publicity by having that there (which I would imagine the banner ads already get you) you could always post a "this week in <insert magazine>" thread.

Merge the "social" forums at top level (cakestop, soap box, audax - only kidding!! :wink: )

Create new top level category for workshops. Keep "buying advice" as sub-categories in each section

New top level section for Triathlon with appropriate sub-cats ("where to buy armbands" etc)

Change the name of "Special Interests" - sounds a bit kinky to me.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • That should hopefully sort the men from the boys and confine the "fashion riders" in a shopping section of their own...

I agree... the road gear and know how section is currently littered of threads about colour matching and "must have" fashion items. The new Workshop might become an interesting section
    left the forum March 2023