9 speed casette - 11 -25?

2»

Comments

• rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Tino4444 wrote:
    Hi,

I am currently thinking of purchasing a Speciailzed Allez road bike and the spec includes a 9 speed cassette 11-25?

What does this mean? Can anyone help?

Is this a good setup for a road bike?

Your help would be greatly recieved.

Tino
    The more "speeds" 7,8,9, 10 or even 11! refers to the number of cogs at back, which multiplied by the number of chain rings at the front tells you how many potential gear you have (some of the ratio's achievable by changing at the front will crossover/duplicate & some are inadvisable as they could damage your drive-train.

As a general rule of thumb the more "speeds" on the back - the more likely you'll find the right gear, for the right cadence when you want it.

The range of gears (dictated by the range in the number of teeth between biggest & smallest cogs) you need depends on where you intend to ride, and how fit you are. I got last year's Allez with 11-28 - I'm not particularly fit but very rarely touch the 28. Am intending to swap for the 11-25 or 12-25 as soon as i need a new chain . but.... I live & ride in East Anglia.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    John.T wrote:
    Coal Rd and Park Rash are a bit steep but the real killers are in the North York Moors. Rosedale Chimney, Boltby Bank, one near Egton Bridge (bit overstated that one) and several near Hawnby. All rated at 30%.
    Music to my ears, I love them all. :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace