Bare Gear cables

anoyceperson
anoyceperson Posts: 66
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

This might well be a stupid question but what is the point of having the bare gear cables? On my bike there are plenty of bits that are covered for a while, then randomly pop out of the cables for a section and then disappear back into the cover again.

Also should I be doing anything to these cables to stop them going rusty or generally getting damaged?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    less weight less friction.

and that is the way it has always been done.

some bikes do have full length outers though.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Feel a bit snappier too as the outer can compress a little.
  • Fair enough, do they get rusty in time as I can see them being out in the air that they might. Do I need to oil them or anything after washing the bike?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Dry them off. A thin lair of oil can help.

You can get sleeved cables too that help prtect the bare cable.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well if they are plain steel cables yes they can.

But quality cables are stainless and are ok.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hi , yeh its all standard for the cables showing but .
    what gets me is the crap that over time goes down the little holes and makes shifting slow and difficult and it dont matter if u have the best teflon coated cables etc. they still get crappy.
    i really like the sram flak jackets ( google it) which have a thin red sheth to go over the bare cables and inturn lock into the bit where ur normal black outer cover finishes, this makes the whole cable run pretty much sealed which is PRICELESS for the british gloop :wink:
    oh and at 20 quid its a worthwhile upgrade that will save u so so so much hassle
    peace !
    Rocky-M-Slayer.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Stainless cables,careful cleaning and regular lubrication keeps everything running smoothly .
  • For the rear cable, put the chain on the largest ring, then flick it down the gears (while the chain is still on the largest ring) then just pop the outer cable of, clean, stick abit lube on then put the outer back on,works a treat. You can do this to outer up at the trigger end too.