Touring as solo female- any advice

spoof03
spoof03 Posts: 2
edited February 2009 in Tour & expedition
I really want to tour through France this August, don't really care which region but preferably North - South. I've spent hours searching through guided touring companies (which was my first idea) but struggling to find many under £1000.

Have any women done this by themselves? Was it a safe option?

Thanks

Comments

• rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    spoof03 wrote:
    Have any women done this by themselves? Was it a safe option?
    Safe? That is pretty much an unanswerable question, but you could read this.
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    From what i've read its pretty safe. Check out journals at www.crazyguyonabike.com also try posting the same question at www.bikeforums.net
  • johny c
    johny c Posts: 256
    Spoof,

Try this book by Edward Enfield (Harry's dad), Downhill all the way :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Downhill-All-Way-Cycling-Mediterranean/dp/1840245603/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233493477&sr=8-2

as for girls touring on their own, you could try Josie Dew's books:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=josie+dew&x=0&y=0

other than that, just keep your radar on. my daughter's touring New Zealand just now, on her own (on foot, left her bike at home) and I worry all the time. but I'm a dad
    Johny
  • I've met quite a few solo female tourers in France.
  • I'd suppose because you read the papers you are circumspect about all the nasties that await the vulnerable on the road . Being male I cannot properly comment . However , as they say 'it's all been done before' . Here's an inspiring link to one who seems to have had it all sussed : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dervla_Murphy
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • Have any women done this by themselves? Was it a safe option?

Have done several trips in France; having never been male I obviously can't compare directly, but would say no less than for men. With the caveat that I don't look most people's idea of 'uber-feminine' so may be seen as less of a target.

I suppose it depends what your comparison of "options" would be. Compared with many/most parts of the world, Western Europe is probably paradaisically easy to cycle if you're female: for a start, it's legal; you're unlikely to get stones thrown at you for wearing practical clothing, you'll generally not find people questioning your morals for being out on your own...

I've had a couple of incidents of flashers, 'over-persistent' blokes etc.. But thinking about it, the XX-related harassments I've had in France occurred whether I was on a cycling trip or not, and in non-cycling specific contexts (in a city centre, at a train station...). There was a certain cultural background of bloke that accounted for a disproportionate number of hassles...But your biggest irritation is likely to be being patronised or someone talking rowlocks because he thinks it impresses you.

At any rate, if you want to pay for an expensive organised trip because you like the itinerary or it's convenient or whatever, that's fine--but really safety doesn't need to be a factor in it.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Anne Mustoe is also worth a read, I read one of her books and found it unbelievably frustrating (she can't mend a puncture, why not FFS) but a good read and but if she can do it so can you :D France is the best country in the world for cycling BTW and there is a real appreciation of the sport and the effort involved there- especially from motorists.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    The principal dangers are being hit by a car, having your bike pinched and getting sunstroke, dehydration and other heat-related disorders if you don't take care. None of that is female specific.
    There are obviously places where you would feel unsafe but most of them are urban and therefore not on the usual touring routes. Otherwise you should take as much care as you would anywhere else in the EEC.
    You are quite likely to find companions on the road or in campsites (of all nationalities). Touring alone or at most in a group of two is in my opinion much the best way to meet people. In a big group you are intimidating to people on your route (in a non-violent sense of course) and you always tend to stay within the group which cuts down on chance encounters.
    One thing that I have not mentionned in previous posts on touring in France is that the law now obliges you to wear a high visibility jacket (like workers on motorways). The official reference is EEC norm EN 471, they are available in supermarkets very cheaply (in the motoring section, we have to carry them in our cars), they are very light to carry and you are required to wear them outside built-up areas at night and in conditions of poor visibility. For lovers of the cycle cape, the Carradice Pro-route cape would appear to comply with the regulations.
    Cheers Jo
  • Forgot to mention cystitis, a cycling-related thing that IS female-specific (can't be blamed on France or the French though). Bizarrely, the 'cycling fer wimmin' books don't seem to mention it. Might be worth reading up on things to help prevent/treat before you go, as cycling can bring it out even in those of us not normally prone to the condition.

Interesting the hi-viz jacket thing. Of course, even without legislation it's sensible to carry one. I tend to overheat really easily so use a hi-viz mesh running vest with reflective stripes--dunno if that would satisfy the cops let alone the EN Standard though.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    In theory you don't need to wear a hi-viz jacket in conditions where you are likely to overheat, because they are only for night and bad weather. In practice in the extreme south (Nice at night can easily be over 20° in july) you might want nothing much underneath but they are only nylon waistcoats with a bit of velcro to keep them shut and made from a very open weave fabric so they really aren't that much of a hardship. Experienced long-distance tourists in France have used them for years in one form or another (audax brevets at night, P-B-P, early starts on cyclo-montagnards, hi-viz gear has been compulsary for a while). What is stupid is that they aren't compulsary in town at night where they would be of some use. They really do make you very visible to the cars (speaking as a car driver). Of course in june, july and august you are unlikely to be touring after dark so its only an insurance.
    For anyone driving in France it might be a wise reminder that as well as a triangle in the boot you are required to carry one of these jackets in the car (and not in the boot)