Commuting to Farringdon Rd....

chuckcork
chuckcork Posts: 1,471
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
I'm hopefully getting a job in EC1, on Farringdon Road, and subject to being able to lock up the bike was wanting to ride it in, but am unsure of the best route, can anyone advise.

I'm coming from Surbiton and am OK on my route up to Putney, after that though the routes suggested by Google Maps and TFL's cycling option diverge, the quickest driving route stays south of the river until Blackfriars Bridge, while the walking/cycling options are shorter and more direct and include the Kings Road, Chelsea Embankment and Lambeth bridge.

Any suggestions? I'm well aware that a shorter route can with increased stopping at lights be a longer one so would prefer the quickest route than the shortest, but I've no experience of riding in to the city further than Putney.

TIA.
'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Thought you were working in South London?

There's only one way, my friend: Embankment. 8) Welcome to the Embankment peleton. :D

From Kingston, I go through the Park, Lower Richmond Road, Putney Bridge, NKR, Embankment. You could then turn off at Blackfriars and go up Farrigndon Road - be careful though as there are some roadworks as you turn left off the junction/lights on the north side of Blackfriars Bridge/top of the slip road.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • chuckcork
    cjcp wrote:
    Thought you were working in South London?

There's only one way, my friend: Embankment. 8) Welcome to the Embankment peloton. :D

From Kingston, I go through the Park, Lower Richmond Road, Putney Bridge, NKR, Embankment. You could then turn off at Blackfriars and go up Farrigndon Road - be careful though as there are some roadworks as you turn left off the junction/lights on the north side of Blackfriars Bridge/top of the slip road.

Hi Stewie, nope that job didn't go anywhere, not RIBA as the guy apparently required (not that he told anyone pre-interview), never even got any feedback. Not happy!

But I've now 2 jobs in the area to interview for next week, hopefuly will get 1 of them!

Re the routes I've been looking at the LCC maps so I had thought though the direct route along the A3 to Wandsworth then the A3205 through Southwark would have been faster, I take it that is incorrect?

More traffic and lights then to slow down that way or just a combination of crapness?

I'm aware of the Embankment Peloton, do I have to change my bar tape to white to be credible?
  • chuckcork
    cjcp wrote:

Our emails are crossing....how long does that route take you from door to door, typically? I was going to go in through Kingston Gate after dropping my daughter at her creche, would add another 10 minutes to so to the journey but the endpoint is pretty close.

Are you in Kingston Wheelers BTW?
  • cjcp
    chuckcork wrote:
    Re the routes I've been looking at the LCC maps so I had thought though the direct route along the A3 to Wandsworth then the A3205 through Southwark would have been faster, I take it that is incorrect?

More traffic and lights then to slow down that way or just a combination of crapness?

I used to do the South Bank route. It's not as pleasant IMO. I also stay clear of the A3. It takes me about an hour in the winter, so only a bit more for you're going to Surbiton.
    I'm aware of the Embankment Peloton, do I have to change my bar tape to white to be credible?

Only if you're Jash. :wink: You will however need to buy the compulsory bright yellow jacket.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    edited January 2009
    chuckcork wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Our emails are crossing....how long does that route take you from door to door, typically? I was going to go in through Kingston Gate after dropping my daughter at her creche, would add another 10 minutes to so to the journey but the endpoint is pretty close.

Yep, they are. :lol: See above. Kingston Gate is my entry point, but only my exit point in the evening during the lighter months. I tend to go through Sheen, Richmond and Ham on the way home to get an extra couple of miles in and avoid the deer.

EDIT: it takes about an hour and 10 in the evening going the longer way.

Am indeed, sir. Are you thinking of joining? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • chuckcork
    1Hr? Sounds faster then than the train (not hard IME).

I have the yellow jacket already, have the bike, got the legs for it, now just need the job + cycle parking!

Not too much for an architect to ask for in a recession with the profession having a +40% unemployment rate (well, its that in Ireland at the moment)
  • chuckcork
    cjcp wrote:

Joining?

Did so before I left Ireland, and have now been out 4 times, including last Sunday, only 9 of us showed up?

KW allergic to rain?
  • I think it depends what time of the morning you ride in - if its early (i.e. 6ish) then I think the roads are clear enough to go more direct than the Embankment. From Putney to St Paul's (close to Farringdon Rd) I go up the Kings Road to Sloane Square, on to Hobart Place, past Buck Palace, down The Mall, The Strand and Fleet Street. On the way home I take cj's route down the Embankment as The Strand is way too busy and The Embankment has fewer traffic lights, fewer junctions and of course, the fun of SCR/FCN etc :lol:
    Time VRS Pro-Team 08 – weekend steed
    Condor Moda - commute
    Scott something or other - manky old MTB
  • cjcp
    chuckcork wrote:
    1Hr? Sounds faster then than the train (not hard IME).

I have the yellow jacket already, have the bike, got the legs for it, now just need the job + cycle parking!

Not too much for an architect to ask for in a recession with the profession having a +40% unemployment rate (well, its that in Ireland at the moment)

See the edited time above!

Eeek! :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    gradiric wrote:
    I think it depends what time of the morning you ride in - if its early (i.e. 6ish) then I think the roads are clear enough to go more direct than the Embankment. From Putney to St Paul's (close to Farringdon Rd) I go up the Kings Road to Sloane Square, on to Hobart Place, past Buck Palace, down The Mall, The Strand and Fleet Street. On the way home I take cj's route down the Embankment as The Strand is way too busy and The Embankment has fewer traffic lights, fewer junctions and of course, the fun of SCR/FCN etc :lol:

Good point about time of day. I'm lazy and don't leave the house until 8 and always found Fleet Street way too busy at that time.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    chuckcork wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Joining?

Did so before I left Ireland, and have now been out 4 times, including last Sunday, only 9 of us showed up?

KW allergic to rain?

:oops:

Don't know. Haven't been out on the club run for well over a year (kids).
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • chuckcork
    cjcp wrote:

Don't know. Haven't been out on the club run for well over a year (kids).

Well, I've been looking after my now nearly 18 month old girl for the last few months, frankly its a relief to get out of the house and go into the screaming-free zone that is the bike for a few hours at least.

only had 3 screaming fits in the course of this thread alone. :?
  • cjcp
    chuckcork wrote:
    Well, I've been looking after my now nearly 18 month old girl for the last few months, frankly its a relief to get out of the house and go into the screaming-free zone that is the bike for a few hours at least.

Yes. Wife says the same. I don't see them in the evenings during the week, so I'm on weekend duties. The commute keeps that urge at bay though, and, when the evenings become lighter, i'll be able to do a couple of laps of the Park on the way home.
    only had 3 screaming fits in the course of this thread alone. :?

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I commute to Blackfriars from North Kingston. I have only been doing it two weeks, but my route goes along the south bank and is just over 13 miles. I would agree that it is not as pleasant as Putney, but it is on very quiet roads or paths for the vast majority of the route, with only a couple of crossings and Blackfriars Bridge to deal with. I leave at about 6. It is a bit busier coming back, but most of it is very quiet outside central London.

Through Richmond Park to Roehampton gate. Danebury Avenue, Roehampton High St, Putney Heath, cross Putney Hill into Putney Heath Lane and then head towards East Putney tube and a nice long descent into Wandsworth on Oakhill Road. ROund the back of andsworth Gyratory, cross on the bike paths and then follow the railway past Clapham Junction on paths or very quiet roads.

From CJ you loop around Falcon Park on paths and back streets to cross Latchmere Road and then back alongside the railway before turning left towards Battersea Park and then right across the southside of Chelsea Bridge. There is then bike path all the way along Nine Elms road to Vauxhall, and then riverside all the way to Waterloo Bridge. From there, there is a virtually car free road along the South Bank complex to Blackfriars bridge, which has a big bike lane on it. Then straight up to Farringdon Road.

The park is closed for the deer cull for 6 weeks, so I will need to go around, probably up the A3 path, which might be quicker for you anyway.

If you are an architect, do you know PRC? They are a very big Surbiton based firm. They have a lot of work abroad, don't know if they are recruiting.
  • From Tibbets Corner go through Wandsworth , York Road to Vauxhall, Waterloo over B/friars bridge etc.
    When coming home STAY NORTH of the river, all the way to Wandsworth Bridge via Chelsea Harbour etc. This means you have the river directly on your left which is FAR quicker than the inward journey. This is why it's better to come in SOUTH of the river.
    York Rd can be a pita but there's not much better available.
    I pickup this route at Wandsworth and have worked in the city for donkeys years and haven't found a better route.
  • I commute from Ashtead, Surrey to Hatton Garden (just up from Farringdon Rd)...18.5miles each way. I go through Epsom...follow the A24....through Colliers Wood, Tooting, Balam, Clapham, Elephant and Castle....over Blackfriars Bridge and presto arrive at work about an hour later.....

I got knocked off my racer in September so am currently on my MTB with slicks....much more durable and more of a workout!
  • beto
    beto Posts: 7
    cycleguy wrote:
    I commute from Ashtead, Surrey to Hatton Garden (just up from Farringdon Rd)...18.5miles each way. I go through Epsom...follow the A24....through Colliers Wood, Tooting, Balam, Clapham, Elephant and Castle....over Blackfriars Bridge and presto arrive at work about an hour later.....

I got knocked off my racer in September so am currently on my MTB with slicks....much more durable and more of a workout!

i'm going to start commuting from epsom to barbican do you know if is the A24 to coolliers wood all right or could be to busy about doit around 7 am , and also i'm doing it in a folding bike given that i'm coming fron Dorking how long to do toy reckon could i take to blackfriars ???

cheers
  • mate...waste of time on a folding bike...it will take you ages as the wheels are too small! it takes me jus tover an hour from Ashtead on my MTB and I am pretty unfit at present...on a folding bike from Dorking...at least 90 mins?