Daytrips from Nice

58585 Posts: 207
edited February 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi,
I'm off to Nice for summer holidays (with the rest of the family) this year, but should be able to negotiate some time to get in a couple of big mountains.
Does anyone have any recommendations reasonably close to Nice?
Ideally doable in a day-trip (driving out and then cycling an out and back or a loop, and driving home), or close enough that I could travel early, cycle after the journey, overnight somewhere cheap and get another ride in the morning before heading back to Nice at a reasonable hour.
Looks like Col de la Bonette is under 2 hours away; anything else in that area that someone can recommend? Hopefully I would be fit to drive after taking that on....
Another option would be ventoux, looks like a 3 hour drive which doesn't seem to bad.
Thanks i advance!

Comments

• Hi
    Have a look at Ed in Vercors' website. He did some pretty awesome rides from Nice that I'm hoping to take in one day. You have to remember that due to the Cote dAzur not 'needing' the tour, there's a lot of great unpublicised roads out there.
    Look forward to hearing how it goes.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Went with a Brompton earlier this year at Cannes Film festival trime..Spoilt for choice...All trains are bike friendly if you want to come back by train..There are three paralllel "corniches "..the lower.middle and higher but the higher one is a motoraway..Being on the Brommie stayed on the lower one.doing 50 miles a day.Made it to the Italian border via Monaco then back then by train.then To St Rapheal near st tropez first by train then cycling back ..a very scenic ride back..Most towns on route merit a good look around which limits your mileage
    jc