Cold & damp weather shopping list - Good kit?

rustncogs
rustncogs Posts: 84
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
While the recession thing has me temping, I've managed to talk myself out of buying a new bike. I've just about talked myself out of spending about £250 upgrading my existing steed - I have to keep it locked outside at the moment, poor thing... Talked myself out of buying a new Deuter backpack as well (and ended up with a perfect no-name pack for free!).

Some new kit for my 8.5 mile commute does seem like a reasonable investment though I'm wondering if the following seem like good buys:

A fair few people on here seem to rate Ron Hill Bikesters so I thought I might give them a go, but is it worth twice the price for a pair of DXB Pro ones from Wiggle?
I'm not quite ready to walk into work in lycra tights, but I've got to get something a bit better than jeans!

I have a DHB windproof which I wear over a DHB base layer which is fine for most weather so I was thinking of a light weight, packable waterproof jacket to stash in my backpack for when it really rains. Something like a Endura Laser or Montane featherlite.
Then I saw a Altura Crossmax for a really tempting price, is this a better buy? Will it pack up small or will it be something I take instead of the windproof layer?

Finally I think I need some decent gloves. Yesterday I went with fingerless mitts... got a few streets away and realised what a bad idea this was. Checked my bag and found I'd left my Thinsulate gloves at home. Most of the rest of that journey HURT :shock: .
Today I wore the bulky Thinsulate gloves and felt that boil in the bag feeling by the time I got half way.
I've seen a few sale prices around the £15 for Endura Dexter, Altura Thermastretch, Kinetic, Reflex etc.
I want something windproof, breathable and as un-bulky as possible. I'm leaning toward one of the Altura's, anyone recommend them?

Cheers :)
FCN 7

"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate, Watson"

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    No shame in wearing lycra, mate. 8)

I forget which Alturas I have have, but they were about £29. Nice and warm. LewisKit also do some ncie ones.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    had these for over a year, gone through two winters and fantastic gloves, pricey compared to others but worth it

i know you want a pack away jacket but just got altura night vision and nevis and both great, night vision is well toasty

lycra is fine lol
  • andy83
    forgot to say i suffer with FM and cold kills me and them gloves do me good
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Remeber that the Montane Featherlite is a windproof and showerproof smock not a waterproof!

I use the sealskin mtb gloves and love them!
  • I went for the atura night vision gloves - about £29 BUT I have been finding my cheaper gear being poor quality. The Altura gloves bought in December already have a split seam. My alture night vision jacket chest pocket zip bust (mind you, I did tend to cram the pocket!. My dhb bib tights while snuggly warm the zip on the ankle of one leg went in the frist week and my dhb overshoes (though v cheap) have almost completely fallen apart - thank god for gaffer tape :oops:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Got these in early December, i know you said no tights but they've been excellent:-
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360038995/
    Cheers, Stu
  • Well that's the Montane out then. I manage to shrug off showers with a combination of indifference and the DHB windproofs' slight water resistance. It's really for the damper days I want it.

Could the Altura / Endura winter gloves even be a bit too warm for the next few months?
    Or is that just silly?

I have the cheap thinsulate gloves for the really cold, dry days.
    FCN 7

"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate, Watson"
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Take the plunge with the tights. ;)

These are fantastic value. Down to half price, and they're really good tights too. I have 2 pairs...
  • andy83
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Endur ... 360020533/

would help if i added the link

have the merston bib tights and they are great,
  • You won't get anything warmer than proper winter bike tights. It's going to snow tomorrow and I'm going out running. Technical clothing really is worth the investment. You'll wear it over and over again.

Jeans are just naff, soak up the rain and let the wind in (or out), then in the summer they are far too hot. great for garage floors or going to the pub but cycling... no.

I wear my winter bike gloves when it's like Baffin outside. (motorcycle that is - goretex wind and waterproof, tested to 160 mph).
    Have some Altura overshoes that are wind and waterproof, fit luverly over my cycle shoes.
    Have a thinskin rugby baselayer, a mizuno mid layer, a Gore outer and a Pearl Izumi showerproof outer layer - wouldn't wear them together but they sufice for a weeks commuting. I have washed and reproofed my Pearl Izumi jacket a few times, it's very showerproof as are my trousers. Endura firefly. Too thin to wear in freezing temps though.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... s-ec002091
    http://www.justrugby.com/acatalog/Thin_Skins.html