Moving the Kids On...

5Thumbs
5Thumbs Posts: 88
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
not as in 'check the classifieds' :roll: but rather now that they can ride a bit how do I help them to improve their skills?.

My 12 year old son is v confident and loves riding.the trails in our local woods. I was thinking maybe a weekend course for us both to introduce him to some some basics like drop offs, bunny hops etc.

My daugther (10) is a bit less confident and I'd welcome any advice as to what you may have seen work well for kids.I figure perhaps on just taking her out on v gentle on/off road stuff to improve her handling and confidence but wondered if there were any basic things that others have found useful with kids?

ps they've both finally got half decent kids bikes (Spesh's) so weight etc isnt too much of a prob

Comments

• Not having kids myself means that I'm probably talking bollocks, but just taking an interest and encouraging them is surely the right way forward.

To my knowledge my own father has never sat on a bike so I was lucky to find friends early on as a kid who were as passionate as me (and still are), so just keep doing what you're doing and try introducing some more varied terrain.

Most of the proper trail centres have areas that would cater for you and your kids.
    For example, the blue route at Glentress (which may or may not be anywhere near you) would probably suit you and your son. There's nothing particularly difficult or hazzardous about it so I'd check your nearest centre to see what they've got to offer.
  • 5Thumbs wrote:
    not as in 'check the classifieds' :roll: but rather now that they can ride a bit how do I help them to improve their skills?.

Tell them that if they can't get round the trail in X minutes santa won't come...

I don't think I'll make a very good Dad though.

:lol::wink: :arrow:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    i took my cousin to lots of races e.g. 4X, DH.
    a-it gives him to something to aim at
    b-he can see whats possible
    c-learn things through watching
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Hi,

Look for a local club that has an interest in developing young riders. Look at GB Cycling and contact their Go Ride coach in your area. Cyclocross racing through the winter, you can join in as well, it gives the kids something to laugh at.

Get out and ride and have fun. Try a BMX park, you can all develop different skills there and it can be quite controlled.

My daughter was 7 when she rode Follow the Dog completely at Cannock. Not fast, but pretty competent. Shes ridden the new route at Sherwood Pines, 19+ Km in just over 2hrs.

MORE FUN + GET OUT AND RIDE!

Paul
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Try this link:
    http://www.southeastcycling.co.uk/gorideclubs.htm

We did the Go-ride sessions (I used to tag along as well) and we both picked up loads.

Don't know why we don't see that many kids out on the trails. I started taking my son to a local quarry/wood at 7 and soon moved on to a local trail center. By 8 I was struggling to keep up and now we just start together and I have to take a few cheeky short-cuts to keep up - he is 9 now so what should I expect! We are planning to do our first sportive together this summer in Bala.

I also have a younger son and I am really struggling to get him interested, he will go out on the road bike (and we have done 20+ miles on the road), but doesn't like MTB's and I have no idea why????
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff