Disc Keeps Rubbing After Changing Forks.

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited January 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Swapped my brothers Avalanche 3.0 Suntour XCM forks with a pair of Rock Shox Tora 318 Solo Air, the wheel is in straight but I can not seem to stop the disc rubbing I have tried setting it the same as I did when I fit the brakes on the XCM and the rear of the bike and that hasn't worked, I tried resetting the pads back but still no joy. I will give it another bash but any one experience any problems when swapping forks before or any on got any tips? Do I need some shims behind the caliper mount to bring it in a tad closer or maybe some shims under the caliper to lift it a tad.

The brakes are Hayes Stroker Rydes by the way. The front brake has worked sweet as a nut until now.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no shims just the slacken the caliper to adaptor bolts. pull lever and then push the bike through on wheel revolution with the brake dragging. then tighten the bolts and release lever. job should be done. then go and use to bed the brakes back in again. can take up to X applications.

X = what it says in your manual.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    no shims just the slacken the caliper to adaptor bolts. pull lever and then push the bike through on wheel revolution with the brake dragging. then tighten the bolts and release lever. job should be done.

Tried that, didn't seem to work. Its not an intermittent rube its constant. Shinning a light through from behind shows its the pad nearest the wheel that's touching. When squeezing the lever to set the caliper that's as far over as it wants to go, that's where the caliper wants to sit, I can move it over tad more by hand but then I just get rubbing else where.

The brake set first time when I first put them on the old XCM forks.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ok them if you are max adjustment then some shims could help. Just watch out for the caliper and the spokes making contact.

were the brakes bleed on the old forks?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nope, they have never been bleed. Got them and installed them.