Oil leak from new forks!

KonaKurt
KonaKurt Posts: 720
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Can someone help please! My forks are about 1 week new (RS Revelation U Turns) and I have noticed that with use, the stanchions keep getting a small film of oil leaking on them. I am keeping them upright, no tipping them, and keep wiping the oil off with tissue. The oil is clear, and after a days use about half a teaspoon is collecting on each stanchion.

Is this normal on new forks, or is there a problem worth worrying about?

KonaKurt

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    some oil is to be expected.

it does tend to reduce after the bedding in period.

But that much is too much. get the supplying shop to have a look.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • KonaKurt
    Hmmmm, maybe I overestimated the amount of oil.

I would say I'm getting just a 1/4 teaspoon of oil per stanchion (max) after a full days riding.

Still too much? Could it be a faulty seal? And how long would you guess this 'bedding in' period to be, if used every day? I wish RS manuals would give some guidance on bedding in periods and symptoms!

Kurt.
  • tompug
    tompug Posts: 227
    My RS recons did the same, I wouldn't worry. Give it a couple more rides and it should stop. If it doesn't stop send it back under warranty.
  • KonaKurt
    OK Tom, thanks. That's reassuring.
    I'm assuming that it is just LUBE oil and not damper oil?
    I will be sure to keep the bike/forks as upright as I can for a week or so, and see what happens with plenty of use.

KK.

P.S: I'm also wondering how I can make the blue compresion ring stiffer to turn... is that an easy job?
  • should be an allen key bolt on top of compression ring you can tighten, if it was damper oil your forks would be clunking horribly
  • maurice
    maurice Posts: 151
    My coil revelations did this as well, I was quite alarmed at first but it does reduce after a bit.
  • I also have revelations and the reason it leaks is because of the motion control component at the top of the fork, in the manual RS tell you that leaking is to be expected, I got worried too but reading the manual always helps
  • KonaKurt
    Hmmmm. OK, thanks everyone. I could not find any mention in my RS manual about oil leaks though. It is still happening, but I will just keep bedding my forks in, and hope the leak stops.

Here are a couple of pics, the closeup shows the oil band clearly, with mud attracted to it!

KK.

KonaKurt81WhitesRSideForksCloseup.jpg

KonaKurt82WhitesRSideOilyStanchions.jpg
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    that amount of oil looks pretty normal, but keep an eye on it just in case it gets worse.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a big over estimation.

that is normal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • KonaKurt
    OK, will keep an eye on it. I will say though, that it was worse 3 days ago. I collected about a 1/4 teaspoon approx in kitchen towel.

I used to have a pair of air Tora's last year, and they never ever leaked anything from new, bone dry! T'was a shock *bad pun* to see oil!

KK.