Newcastle/North Tyneside Area

Leesykoi
Leesykoi Posts: 338
edited September 2009 in MTB rides
Hi,

Another new member here !!!!!

If there are any people in the Newcastle or North Tyneside area who can recommend any rides or fancy some company on weekend rides i'd love to hear from you......

Cheers.

Lee.
I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!

Comments

• Anderzz
    Anderzz Posts: 103
    Leesykoi wrote:
    Hi,

Another new member here !!!!!

If there are any people in the Newcastle or North Tyneside area who can recommend any rides or fancy some company on weekend rides i'd love to hear from you......

Cheers.

Lee.

Alright mate. Im from South Shields if thats any use :)

I got no one to ride with either lol :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    howdy.

I used to live in Newcastle (gossy).. so Jesmond Dene is pretty good if you get onto the smaller paths... Start in Pets corner and follow the uppaths all around, it's not that large but can be fun if you look about.

Also plessy woods is goods (google map it).

The Tyne Valley is good also, you can get towards Ryton via Blaydon as well.

Try corbridge and Hexam as well, I am sure you can follow the tyne, but I could be wrong.

Sooth Shields am not too sure, I used to cycle from Gosforth to Shields via Hebburn and Jarrow using the cycle path on the south side of the river (you need to go the little back way passed the Art Gallery then via the industrial estate parths).

The coastal way from Shields to Seaburn is ok as well, can be a bit dull though if you are after more MTB stuff rather than straight lines.

Sorry I couldnt help further with Sooth Shields..

Gman
  • g3n1u5
    g3n1u5 Posts: 21
    If you have a car its worth checking out Thrunton Woods Bout 50mins from Newcastle and you can just ride!

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/Recr ... ryThrunton

If you head up to hexham, keilder is only another 50 mins away and the trails there are fun. if really hilly and hard work but the downs make up for the hills :)

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/Recr ... ryThrunton

Copwell Woods near rowlands gill is pretty good and for distance from here you can ride on the derwent walk which is pretty cool and is part of the C2C route

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/Wild ... odlandPark
  • Loads of riding round there. Beamish Odd Soxs are a group worth meeting up with.

www.beamishoddsox.co.uk

I lived in the area for 9 years and I was still finding new stuff each time I went out.

Chopwell and Beamish woods and the trails that linked them were the most popular rides that you could do with out needing a car to get to the start.

I also found a great route from Jesmond Dene to Seaton Sluce on the coast, it was all off road and passed a number of old slag heaps you can play on. Get a map and follow your nose from the north end of the Dene, you should be able to work it out, aim to decend down Holywell Dene near the coast. You can come back via tynemouth and the chip shops and a blast through the foot tunnel (beware the slippy floor tiles at the bottom of the lift!)

Also try weatslade pit out past the race course, not good if it is wet and there can be a few motorcrossers, it is a good place to play though.

If you have a car there are countless places to go within an hours drive.
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Hi there, im just trying to get back into it after taking about 4months off due to sheer lazziness. I did find quite a good ride that goes to consett (well stopped bit short) but i turned around by beamish. I think i managed about 40miles on that ride. I found some cycle paths that go all the way to the quay side and beyond (to hexham i think).

I aint no speed freak but i dont mind long rides tho. Anderzz i live in jarrow so if you feel like a slowish ride then am up for it matey.

I did ride to blyth one day along the coast, not very challenging but it follows the coast and it clocked up 30miles. I also did the Great North Bike Ride last year which was 55miles - hmmmmmm that was fun and i now hate hills.

I have a halfords carerra crossfire hybride at the moment but im looking at getting a mountain bike in a few months time.

Well if anyone feels like a gentle ish jaunt..............
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Try having a look on the http://www.uk-mtb.com forum. There is a group of us on there that try to get out reasonably regularly. Keep your eyes peeled in the rides section....
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Hi,
    Get on the C2C along the river it runs by the docks and out right onto the quayside by the pitcher and piano. From here you can cross over the new bridge and head to S Shields. This route is more demanding but is tricky in places to follow. Then get the ferry back over the water or head through the tunnel.
    OR
    follow the river and onto Co Durham
    A nice one is starting at the Derwentside park just by Blaydon rugby club this has loads of options once you get on a bit.
    Go to Co. Durham tourist page and get the bike route maps they are excellent as Durham seems much better than NT for cycling. The old iron and coal trains I guess.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    There's some cracking stuff to be found following the old wagonways out towards St Mary Lighthouse (if you know where to look). And as g3n1u5 says, Chopwell is brill (again you have to know where to look and it is supremely boggy at the moment).

Give us a bell when you fancy a ride and we'll see what we can organise (same applies to all the others as well!!??)
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Prudhoe has some great rides in the woods north of the town! and its all down hill to Wylam about 4 miles! all in woodland and loads of routes! some quite tricky! and to all those who was'nt sure you can get from town all the way to Hexham along the river route it's a cracking ride in the summer! more or less flat all the way! you pass through Prudhoe, Riding Mill, Corbrige etc! anyone want any info on the Prudhoe routes give me a shout!

Chopwell woods are only a couple of miles from the Prudhoe woods start point so if you dont fancy that, just 15mins ride over and down into the next valley and your in Chopwell!

as they say on the compare the meerkat.com SIMPLES!!!! :lol:
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Route 10 is a good ride - pedestrian tunnel to ponteland and back is about 30mile.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • Hi, another new member here.
    Loads of good routes round Chopwell Woods but the Powerline Trail has recently been partially wrecked by inconsiderate loggers.
    Derwent Walk is good for a spin if you dont mind dodging dog walkers.
    The new Red Kite Trail looks interesting, might try it this weekend.
    Recently bought "Beyond Hamsterly" Guide book, which has some really good routes in County Durham.
    Get yourself an Ordinance Survey Map to check for routes in your area, you never know what you might find.
  • Apparently there's some dirt jumps in Holywell dene near asda in benton. Does anyone know exactly where they are?
  • cant think of anything near asda, weetslade quarry is nearby, that had huge banks to play on. maybe an old BMX track nearby?

holywell dene is some distance away from asda.
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy