A question of Baggage!

highwaymunky
highwaymunky Posts: 124
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
[sorry if this has been posted before, couldn't see a thread with it in... i did look though]

I am in need of a new bag for lugging my lunch and a change of clothes to and from work but also once a week I need to carry more stuff [big folder] to college and back.

Now what do the lovely commuting forum think of the dilemma of rucksack or messenger bag?

Up to now I've stuck with rucksack but thinking the messenger bag maybe the way to go.

Which is the most comfortable.

What does everyone else use :?:

Cheers Rob.

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    A messenger bag will place strain unequally across your body, I personally find carrying anything in this manner to really strain my shoulder and neck. I also find a tendency for the load to shift rather annoyingly around and the strap to fall off, I can't even wear a sam browne style belt for that reason.

A backpack on the other hand has the load more evenly distributed and balanced and tends to stay put as it can't swing.

I've carried a 15kg rucksack the length of the west highland way with no probs (other than it was heavy!) while a 1kg messenger bag would do my head in in a fraction of that.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I really like my messenger bag, use it almost every day. IT has a strap that comes from the chest strap to the bag to stop the strap dropping off.

Crumpler and chrome are worth a look for bags.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Neither. I use a pannier or two. Can't stand having stuff on my back on my bike.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I love my Messenger bag, far better than the rucksack I used to use and roomier and easier to access, and custom designed by the wonderful folks at R.E.Load:

http://www.reloadbags.com/
  • Pannier.... but OK rucksack when I don't have them.
  • I love my Messenger bag, far better than the rucksack I used to use and roomier and easier to access, and custom designed by the wonderful folks at R.E.Load:

http://www.reloadbags.com/

WoW! the R.E.Load bags are very cool!
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I put rucsac but that is because there are some good hills on my ride and I find the rucsac just stays put better when I out of the saddle and climbing. On flattish commutes I think messengers can be nicer because you don't get such a sweaty back.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Pannier.... but OK rucksack when I don't have them.
    +1

Pannier for road commutes; rucksack for off-road (wholly or partially).

_
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...panniers for commuting...sometimes use a small rucksac when mountain biking...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I've got a post mounted Carradice bag. It's one of the best things I've bought cycling wise. I've used a rucksack and a courier bag before, but once you've put the weight on the frame rather than your back you'll never look back.
  • Tobiwan
    Tobiwan Posts: 28
    +1 for panniers (or anything else bike-mounted). No sweaty back, and no extra load on your back or bum. Between the two options I'd go for the rucksack for heavier loads as it distributes the weight better, and the messenger back for lighter loads as you don't get so sweaty from it.
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    Neither
    Panniers
    or single pannier
    Mike
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Depends on your style- panniers are good for big stuff & steady riding, but can be a pain for riding "athletically" (out of the saddle, bunnyhopping potholes, sprints) and also can make filtering awkward.

Backpacks are easier for hopping on & off the bike but can get sweaty and uncomfortable for heavy loads.

Messenger bags are cooler than backpacks but even worse for carrying anything heavy.

Some backpacks have mesh to help ventilation, some panniers are a better fit than others, some messenger bags have extra straps to stop them slipping around....

Start by thinking about how much you want to carry, how much a sweaty back will bother you and how dynamically you ride and go from there. I like to have the weight off the bike for commuting (travel light) but would always use panniers for any distance.

I usually reckon that the less you carry the more fun the actual cycling is, but that's no use if you can't keep warm or look smart or whatever you need to do when you arrive!

Cheers,
    W.
  • coffeecup
    coffeecup Posts: 128
    I use a rucksack but only every 3 or 4 days (I bring a few fresh shirts and leave everything else in work)

I find a messenger bag a bit tight across my chest if it's full and I'm puffing my way up hill. Might be alright for flat easy riding in town though

If i'm carrying stuff everyday, then panniers win every time
    Time you've enjoyed wasting, hasn't been wasted

Bianchi L'Una, Bianchi 928 C2C 105, Dahon MU SL