Rear Gear hanger

GavH
GavH Posts: 933
edited January 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Sorry for the bone question folks but I have a problem and hope someone can help.

A while back I bought an unpainted stiff tailed Alu frame off ebay for a tenner. I was intending to take most of the bits off my old Raleigh Tucana and just bolt them onto the new frame once I 'd painted it. I was looking to convert the full suspension frame into something a bit more efficient for a short commute to work. I installed a new BB, brakes, levers, the headset, forks, stem and bars from the old bike fitted into the new no bother, I had to buy new cranks as try as I might I couldn't get the old ones off and a new seatpost as they were different widths. Likewise I need a new front mech as its a different size. The real sticking block is the rear deraileur. The Raleigh didn't have a replaceable gear hanger on it, it was just bolted to the frame. Am I right in saying that gear hangers are frame specific and if so, given that I don't know who made my 'new' Alu frame, what is the best way to attach my rear mech?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just unbolt the rear mech from the Raleigh frame and screw into the hanger on your 'new' frame.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • GavH
    It had occurred to me thar a hanger wasn't actually necessary but I put that down to the fact I know nothing!

So, the rear mech will operate fine if I just bolt it directly to the frame?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    it does on my 456...

you might want to install a breakaway bolt to protect the frame though.
  • GavH
    Thanks for the info guys; straight onto the frame with a breakaway bolt it is then! Cheers.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so the new frame is a direct mount as well.

the same as the donor bike?

if you are not sorted yet post a picture of what you are trying to do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    does the new frame already have a replaceable mech hanger, or is it of the same style as the raleigh?

if the new frame is meant to have a mech hanger but it is missing, then you have to replace it. you can't bolt the rear mech to the frame without one.

if the new frame does not have a replaceable mech hanger then it is of the same style as your old bike and needs a breakaway bolt as has been said.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    unless it is a drop out mounted one,

hence the request for pics. as non of us really know what is going on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    nicklouse wrote:
    unless it is a drop out mounted one,

hence the request for pics. as non of us really know what is going on.

yes, sorry, our posts crossed.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails