I've reached a plateau!!

endurojcb
endurojcb Posts: 170
edited February 2009 in Health, fitness & training
I seem to have reached a plateau with my weight loss! I was 13st 4lbs on new years day, and have managed to shift a fair bit over the last month and got myself down to 12st 10lbs. I've had a nice steady weight loss of about 2lbs a week, but this week, I haven't managed to loose anything! I haven't eaten anything fattening or high in calories, just the usual stuff such as Weetabix, Salads, Chicken, lots of vegetables, and Quorn. No beer and plenty of water!

My training consists of weights for about 30-40 mins and a good 20-30 minute run (on a treadmill at the gym) ranging between 10 and 13 kmph. I've done this everyday this week, but haven't lost a gram of weight!

Can anyone give me any pointers as to where I'm going wrong or what else I can add to my routine??

Thanks.
2007 Merlin Malt 4

Comments

• djvagabon
    djvagabon Posts: 262
    I'm a personal trainer and this is very common. People tend to lose weight quickly at first as it just water retention.
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    Hi,

Looking at your self do you still feel you need to loose more weight?

how tall are you?

Have you checked your BMI?

If you are lifting weights every day then you need to also take into account that muscle is denser than fat.

Tino.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    djvagabon wrote:
    I'm a personal trainer and this is very common. People tend to lose weight quickly at first as it just water retention.

nail on the head
  • Yep, still got the love handles and no visible sixpack! lol If I can get back down to 12st, I'll have the sixpack visibly back!

I've been drinking a lot of water, so I have to go to the toilet every 30-45 mins during the day.

I'm just over 5ft 8", but my BMI has always been way out cos I'm built more like a rugby player with broad shoulders, a chest of 40"-42" and thighs like tree trunks! My BMI is about 28-28.5 I think. I'm verging on obese on that scale, but don't take much notice of it.

I did a body fat percentage test last night and that came out at 17.1%, 16.8% and 16.8% on 3 tests!

I'm not doing heavy weights at the gym cos I don't want to get any bigger (just tone up and keep everything in check), just 10kg biceps curls (4x15), 12.5kg butterfly curls (4x15), 10kg should presses (4x15), body weight dips and chin ups with a 30kg stablising weight (so in theory I'm lifting about 50kg as I weight about 80-82kg) (4x15), pressups (4x25), situps/crunches (4x40).
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    I'd say change something in your diet or regime to make the difference and push through the plateau.

I was 18st 3lbs (I'm 6' 4") at the start of January and in the space of a month I lost 24 lbs! I'm now down to 16st 2lbs (BMI now at 27.9) but still want to keep on going to at least 15 st 7 and possibly down to 15st so keep it going.

I too however have hit a plateau when it comes to weight loss. djvagabon is probably right a lot of it is water retention however a lot of it I believe comes down to your diet. For me, I cut down on the starchy carbs like rice, pasta and bread, eat fruit instead of crisps, drink water and cut out aspartame drinks, if you want a drink get some robinsons High Juice or even full fat coca cola (its got less ingredients that the "diet" version)

However, as I've reached a plateau at 16st 2 - 3lbs now I think I need to change something else in my diet / excercise regime. I'm going to start going to the gym 3 times a week.

Remember that Muscle weights more than fat does - so as you're toning your body in the gym, you might be losing fat but putting on muscle, hence the reason you haven't lost any more weight......

Hope this helps and keep it up - no point in giving up and reverting to the old diet and ways........ :wink::wink:
    It's been a while...