Loads of training...no weight loss??

ragged1100
ragged1100 Posts: 147
edited February 2009 in Health, fitness & training
I've been training hard, two 3 hour rides a week and an hour in the gym doing aerobic stuff on 4 other days, I've been eating branflakes for breakfast, couple of pieces of fruit for lunch, decent, healthy meal for dinner - no cheatng! No sweet drinks, chocolate bars etc (Which were my downfall,, large packet of M n Ms everytime I passed a garage!!)

On the 4th January when I started I weighed 101.7kg, today 99.4kg, I thought I would have lost a lot more, is this normal? In th past when I have started going to the gym & eating sensibly the weight as flown off in the first few weeks, but nothing really seems to be happening, is it because I'm nearly 40!! I'm aiming to loose 10kg by my birthday (10th April) and 20kg by the start of the summer holidays (20th July), is this realistic?

Any advice greatly appreciated, I am 172cm (5'7") and weighing 100kg (that's 16 stone) is not good :(

Cheers

Ragged
Gawton Gravity Hub - "England's best permanent downhill tracks"

www.gawtongravityhub.co.uk
www.facebook.com/gawtongravityhub

Comments

• amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    I don't tend to lose much weight either, maybe 1/2 a stone on the scales , but look physically like I have lost a couple of stone. I think muscle weighs more than fat.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Write down EVERYTHING that you eat or drink, and how much of it. Then have someone else look it over and I think you may help solve your problem. Don't leave out anything.
    I'm not saying you don't eat "sensibly"(your word) but one mans sensible is another mans
    pig out. Also sometimes it takes the body a week or two to really start the weight loss
    process. Be aware that energy bars, gels, and drinks can contain a huge amount of
    sugar, cheap carbs, and calories. Good luck. It isn't easy for anyone. I'm proof of that.
    And try to get rid of most of the fat in your diet.

Dennis Noward
  • djvagabon
    djvagabon Posts: 262
    Dont cut out all fats. Some fats are good for you. Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated fats are good for you. These types of fats help the body function properly. If you cut out these fats then you will find that the food that you do eat will not get digested properly, and will be stored in the body.
    As ive also explained in the thread just below this 1. You need to know your training zones, the difference between aerobic and anaerobic zones. Read that thread and it will help you understand more about losing weight.
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Don't think of it just in terms of weight!

Muscle is denser than fat, in other words, a piece of muscle tissue weighs much more than a piece of fat tissue the same size. If you haven't been training for a while, you will have lost a lot of muscle mass, and your % body fat will have increased. Once you start training again, if you are in the right zones you will be burning off fat, but if your diet is right you will be building up the muscle as well, so don't despair about the poor weight loss - you are probably getting noticeably smaller (or less large :wink: ) and firmer as the fat disappers and the muscles underneath develop. You're replacing surplus lighter bulky tissue with smaller heavier useful tissue.

Once your muscles reach the optimum size for your build and training, they'll stay relatively constant and while you keep burning away any excess fat you have, then you'll see the biggest changes in weight, but there will be a big visible difference before then.
    Good luck!
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • Program on TV recently, Horizon, basically our bodies all seem to have a fat level which they'll actively try to keep.

They took a bunch of skinny people and doubled there food intake and they barely put weight on and once back to normal diet they all lost the extra gained in no time, where as if I doubled my intake I'd add 2 stone in no time.

My bodys seem to be in Fat store mode, been training hard, eating less and no energy my muscles aren't getting there strength back so I assume all my food energy is going right back to far reserves :(
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Sounds to me like by starving your body you could be giving it the exact opposite of what it needs for weight loss mate.

I'd guess your body is shutting down and instead of using the food, it's storing it as it doesn't think it's getting enough.

You actually need to eat more.... but more of the right things.

Protein, eggs, fish, chicken....

Not pasta/chips/cake/pizza :)
  • Strange, what my body / you think is the right things I think is entirely the opposite :)

Taking a week off the training and relaxing the diet abit, get fully recovered then repeat until dead again.

Shame I like riding in the snow :(
  • Well im a skinny lad, and i lose weight realy easy, and have trouble putting weight on, so this may not be too helpful. But this has worked (well it happened, i wasnt trying to do it though) for me. Three hours is the shortest time you could be doing a long ride for and you would still have a bit of energy left in your body. If you go out and do a 4 hour+ ride keeping the food to a pretty low level, you will start burning fat for energy and loose some weight. however, this is not a grate idea. Dont starve(sp?) yourself, take plenty of food. Do the longs ride though. Plan a realy long bastard of a ride once a week and try and make them longer and tougher and it may take a little while, but you should start losing weight. another positive is that this riding doesnt build big muslces as it isnt very intense, so you wont add weight through muslce gain.