Getting to the Dolomites

biketour
biketour Posts: 4
edited February 2009 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone give any advice on the best airport to use for a two week tour of the Dolomites.
I will be flying from the London area.

Also, any experience of using airlines that use these airports, especially transporting a touring bike.

Thanks
biketour

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    biketour wrote:
    Can anyone give any advice on the best airport to use for a two week tour of the Dolomites.
    I will be flying from the London area.

Also, any experience of using airlines that use these airports, especially transporting a touring bike.

Thanks

You can use Venice (marco polo), Venice Treviso...but I really like Easyjet for going abroad with the bike so I personally would opt for London Gatwick to Innsbruck in Austria with Easy Jet....want some great info on touring this area....read my mates brilliant website:-

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/
  • Bergamo - Brescia - Verona - Vicenza all have good airports as well as Venice - which is a little further away .

I forget how they're advertised by the cheap airlines . I recollect using Ryanair to Bergamo once but it was described as 'Milan' ! No matter , it was Bergamo I wanted to head for . Other than Brescia I've used the others also .

With the first four I noted you're into the mountains in short order . From Venice add a day .

As it crosses my mind an interesting alternative would be to Innsbruck and pedal over the Brenner pass - an easy day - where you'd hit the northern Dol's around Bressanone or - a left turn - Brunico .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"